Author Topic: Where does all the Fat go?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline ace

• Bronze Member
Gang,

Based on having a Gynecomastia op and / or lipo on a part of the body, I understand that the fat cells themselves are removed and do not appear again in that location (unless in extreme circumstances ?? what are these extreme circumstances?)

If that is the case then where does the new fat go? Does it distribute itself evenly on remaining fatty areas?

Eg If someone had lipo on the chest , stomach and legs, then ate nothing but 30 burgers and 25 cakes a day for 3 months, washed down with fizzy drinks, with no exercise – then obviously they would put on weight, ‘more calories in that out’. So would that new weight , as fat , hit the hips , thighs , rear and face area, leaving out the previous lipo’ed chest , stomach and legs area? If that is the case then surely that would result in strange body proportions?

If I have got the above drastically wrong it co’s I flunked Biology at school !!!
Ace

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
Hello ace

This is something Dr Bermant would be best placed to answer, so I would post this question to him on the main gynaecomastia talk board.

My version is this:

If a guy has excess fat and glandular tissue in the chest area, this can be surgically removed by excision and liposuction to 'normalise' the shape of this area.

Now that the tissue has been removed, there is still a layer of fat, but it is in proportion to the rest of the body.

It's the surgeons task to remove the right amount of fat in line with how fat or thin the patient is.  If too much fat is removed, then the chest might look abnormally flat in relation to the rest of the body.  In this case, even if the the guy concerned stuffed his face with ten big macs every day and put on significant weight, the chest area will put on weight, but proportionately less than the rest of the body, so will still look too flat in relation to the rest of the body.

Fat cells have an amazing ability to expand in size.  Take identical twins.  If one eats loads of fatty or high carb foods and the other has a normal healthy diet, the one former will put on weight.  No matter how much weight he puts on, be it half a stone or ten stones, each twin will have an identical number of fat cells.  Only the fat twin's fat cells will be much, much larger than the thin twin's fat cells.

So, there is no such thing as 'new' fat.  All that happens is that the existing fat cells  swell up and make the person concerned look like a right fat biffer.

Does that help? :-/

Offline ace

• Bronze Member
Thanx Phantom,

it was the proportion aspect that was confusing me but now I see.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024