Author Topic: Tugging sensation under bandage - please help!  (Read 2567 times)

Offline kayvee

• Posting Member
  • Surgery 27/07/2006 with Dr. Levick
I'm 2 days post-op and very very worried.

I woke up this morning with tugging/pulling sensations underneath the compression bandage that was put on me after surgery. I as having some weird sensations the day before and Dr. Levick advised me that looseness was a bad thing and to tighten the bandages, which I did.

I've just re-tightened the bandages, and made them adhesive ones which won't slip, move or loosen at all ... but there's still a feeling of 'tugging', pulling or movement under them. I don't know whether this is in the skin, the tissue, due to padding shifting about on top, or what, but it's now becoming evident that it's there no matter how tight the bandages go, so pulling them into more of a squeeze isn't going to help.

I don't know how to really describe it, it 'jiggles' a little when I move around sometimes, and the area throbs with my heartbeat. It feels loose but the bandages obviously prve otherwise ...

What sensations did other people have under their bandages after surgery with Levick, if any? I'm seriously at my wits' end with worry. Am terrified that this might darn up my healing process, and can't seem to get thru to Levick on the phone today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:23:04 AM by kayvee »

Offline kayvee

• Posting Member
Update:

In timely fashion, as expected of such a pro, Dr. Levick has replied.

Apparently if the compression garment is tight enough ("you should however be able to slip a finger under it, not too tight now", as a general rule), then it's probably nerves firing, tugging on my pec muscle, or other ignorable things.

I'm apparently to start worrying if I develop a buildup of blood ("the only thing that could really go wrong is bleeding"), in which case I'd be in considerable pain.

So, the good doctor's advice: 'put your feet up and relax'. :P good to hear.

Will leave this post up here tho if anybody has any insights or stuff to add ... searched all through the boards and could find nothing re: sensations under post-op garments.

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
i had various sensations when my bandages were on. Cant remember exactly what they were like now but do recall a tight pulling feeling twice which only lasted briefly though.

Offline kayvee

• Posting Member
It's getting 'worse', to be honest.

It feels a lot like ... I don't know, liquid running through a sponge. Not like a hematoma or a seroma or bleeding, but like the entire area is suffused with fluid. I suppose it's part of the healing process, but still.

My chest is doing very strange things, swelling up really tight on the bandages, and flattening so they're slightly loose ... I don't know.

I may fone Dr. Levick again in the morning ... would be willing to go back to birmingham to get re-bandaged.

stonecold: what did you do, the week after the surgery? It' sbeen suggested I'm being too active, but I feel pretty sedentary ...

Offline kayvee

• Posting Member
Have ordered a Nike Pro lycra thinger too, thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose if this is inflammatory fluid (as opposed to blood/etc.) it's not going to be too much of a healing problem ... I'm just worried sick. Compressing it with bandages, again, not doing any good.

Offline orrible

• Previously stonecold... 9.11.05 Surgery Levick
whilst i was banadaged up i didnt do alot just read, played video games and watched tv. I went out once to the shop but was worried about getting my chest bashed. Week 2 i gradually started to do normal stuff, light activities,walking into town, shopping etc. Thing to do is just try and relax and not rush things to much. I can relate to your worries, you want to do everything in your power to make sure you get the best result. Stress wont help, so take Levicks advice and try not to worry. If you really are stressed and birmingham is an option, go see Levick for peace of mind.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024