Author Topic: Cambridge Private Hospital  (Read 7918 times)

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Cambridge Private Hospital

First of all I would like to say hi, I am so glad I found this forum as I thought I was the only one with this condition. I have had it since I was 12 and went to see the doctor then who said it would clear up when I got older, it never has and I am now 24!!!

I have two hard lumps under my nipples that I can feel and the lump goes round to under my arm. This makes my nipples puffy and look very bad in less its cold or I pinch them and it goes away for a short amount of time. For years I have not been able to where T-shirts and shirts that are light as you can see through, I have put holidays off with mates as I fear having to take my top off round the pool or at the beach etc. Also my sex life has been mostly in the dark or with my top half covered!!!

I have found this site that has made me feel a lot better and second made me have the guts to make an appointment to see about removing it.

I live in Cambridge so was thinking off going to Cambridge Private Hospital, has any one had it done there before or know if they would recommend them or not?

I notice some people on here going to Poland does any one have any info on that?

Any way may post up some pics if I feel I can any advice would be wicked, I have lived with it to long now and want it gone as fast as possible so I can start my life again.

Alex

Offline outertrial

Hi, welcome to the board. Poland is quite cheap which I guess is why people go there but if you check some of the recent threads, by Gaz, AK and HarryO they seem to be lukewarm with the results and talking about going back for revisions. Even the Poland pioneer MarkAshleigh1979 had to go back for a gland excision, theres a long long thread here somewhere where a lot of guys posted their experiences of surgery in Poland, some were very positive but there were enough so so ones to  make me decide it wasnt for me.

Personally I think its better if you cango  to meet the doctor before deciding whether or not you want them to operate and be able to go back for follow ups without involving Easyjet.

I had my surgery done in Barcelona and Im really happy with the results and how supportive my surgeon has been through the whole process, you have all the consults before and after at his office in London and it was pretty cheap at 2500GBP so I feel like I got a good compromise of the home/abroad surgery thing.

Wherever you decide to go you should have consultations with at least a couple of surgeons.

Good luck mate, getting rid of this is a really positive decision.

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Thanks for you reply its really lifting just being able to talk to some one about it, I tried to explain it to my Mum a couple of years back but she just told me there is nothing wrong, I guess she just trying to say what she thought would make me feel better.

I will go and make the appointment in Cambridge and see what they have to say and if they have done many of these procedures before and also then look at a few others.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Welcome to the boards Alex,

When we find first this forum and realise we have options then life immediately gets better.  :)

Yours sounds like a classic case of pubescent gyne which didn’t clear up.  From reading your post you seem to have opted for surgery and to take the private route.  There have been board members who have persuaded the NHS to do the surgery for them but it only usually happens after a dogged tenacity that would put a Pit Bull Terrier to shame.

You may be aware that gyne is caused by a hormonal imbalance which is very common at puberty.  That imbalance usually resets itself and any boobs disappear. In a small minority of people the boobs stay even after the hormones have reset themselves.  Hormonal imbalances that happen later in life need to be investigated.

If I were you I would chat to my GP and tell him I was going to have surgery but I would ask him to run blood tests (on the NHS), just to make sure my hormones were ok.  You wouldn’t want the damn things growing back after surgery if there was an underlying problem would you?  If the results come back ok, then you are free to shop around for surgery.

I would take care in choosing a surgeon.  Gynecomastia correction is a skilled procedure and not one that many breast surgeons and general surgeons have a great deal of experience in.  It is not a procedure similar to mastectomy in women.  Don’t expect miracles but do expect (and demand) significant improvement. Some people do get perfect results, but my guess is that most get about a 90 to 95% result after a 12 month healing time.

There are 2 or 3 very experienced surgeons in the UK.  I used Paul Levick in Birmingham, but there is Karidis in London as well, and as you say several people have gone to Poland for the surgery which is less than half the UK price.  I wouldn’t choose a surgeon just because he or she is local to where I live; I would choose them because of their experience and how I felt when I met them.  I would suggest you get at least 2 consultations.  Every surgeon will have to do a proportion of revisions after the initial surgery if the results aren’t quite what both the surgeon and the patient were expecting, so don’t be put off by that.  However do make sure you find out if any revision surgery is included in the initial fee or whether you have to pay all or a proportion of the fees again.

Have a good read of the UK board on here and the Diary section to get an idea of what to expect in the way of fees and experience.  Ask questions.  We are here to help.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Thanks for all your advice; it did not cross my mind that it could come back. I will see my GP first then to check my hormone levels. If this all comes back to be normal I will then move on to getting in touch with a surgeon. I will try Cambridge Hospital as they advertise as being one of the best (but then I guess they all would) and will also try the guy from London who you have recommended.

I have also read that a steroid cream could work do you know any one who has tried this and what the results were like?

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
I will try Cambridge Hospital as they advertise as being one of the best (but then I guess they all would) and will also try the guy from London who you have recommended.

I have also read that a steroid cream could work do you know any one who has tried this and what the results were like?

I definitely would NOT touch any creams or self medicate with any drugs unless under the guidance of a very well informed GP (not many of them around) or better still an Endocrinologist.  You could actually make your gyne worse and it would affect the results of any blood tests, making it difficult to tell what your own body’s “natural and current” hormone levels are.

You say you have had your gyne for 12 years so it is unlikely that any form of medication will help.  Some drugs do have an effect but only during the early stages of growth (12 to 18 months), but again these should only be taken under the strict control of an Endocrinologist.

I don’t actually recommend (or decry) Karidis or indeed any surgeon as each patient has to do their research and make up their own mind, I just put his name up as he is someone who has been used several times by patients on here.  I used Paul Levick because:

•   I believe he is the most experienced surgeon in the UK for doing this as I read he does about 200 of these a year.
•   He had the condition himself when he was younger and can empathise as to how it affects our lives.
•   He doesn’t cut around or under the nipple but instead goes in through a small incision under the armpit so scarring is hidden.
•   He is expensive at around £4000 but that includes everything, including any revision work (all fees not just surgeons).
•   Some patients say he is the best, but he does have at least one unhappy patient on here.  However you will find happy and unhappy patients with all surgeons.

I’m sure if you read posts from patients from Karidis, other surgeons and from those who have used the Polish clinics then you will get an insight into their experiences.

If you decide that you can’t live with your boobs (and some men do) then it would seem to me that if your hormones are ok, then surgery is your only option.  I can only suggest that you read as much as you can on here to find out more about surgeons and patients experiences.

Offline chester101

• Posting Member
Hi,

You might be surprised to hear that Addenbrookes Hospital Plastic Surgery Unit specializes in surgery for Gynecomastia. I'm going in myself in May to have lipo and excision done. This is of course on the NHS and so is not costing me anything.

The unit has a good reputation and has published some research papers on the surgery in the British Journal of Plastic Surgery over the past few years detailing outcomes from a relatively large number of procedures. I consider myself lucky to live close by to a unit that has such expertise and reputation. All you need to do is to convince you doctor to refer you of course and although that can sometimes be difficult, I didn't encounter any problems...

Offline outertrial

I think you can consider yourself lucky if you got anything from the NHS other than a metaphorical kick in the goolies

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Hi,

You might be surprised to hear that Addenbrookes Hospital Plastic Surgery Unit specializes in surgery for Gynecomastia. I'm going in myself in May to have lipo and excision done. This is of course on the NHS and so is not costing me anything.

The unit has a good reputation and has published some research papers on the surgery in the British Journal of Plastic Surgery over the past few years detailing outcomes from a relatively large number of procedures. I consider myself lucky to live close by to a unit that has such expertise and reputation. All you need to do is to convince you doctor to refer you of course and although that can sometimes be difficult, I didn't encounter any problems...

Chester101,

That is good news. Keep us posted as to how you get on.  It would be very good news indeed if there were some positive results coming from an NHS hospital doing this procedure.  It would at least allow patients to go to their GPs and ask for a referral to that hospital.

All the very best.

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Wow that is only down the road from me. I will be seeing my GP in the next two weeks and will bring that up as well. I have found it very hard to live with and it has made parts of my life that I should enjoy like holidays a real nightmare for me. I have now got to a stage in my life where I know it’s not going to go away on its own and I don't want it to be an issue for the rest of my life. I am going to do my hardest this year to have it removed so by next summer I will look forward to a holiday and wearing a T-shirt in the hot sun.

Thanks for your advice about the surgeons I will make sure I read up as much as possible and that I am happy before I make a decision. I guess there is always a risk that is could look worst as the end result and not better.

First things first I must go and see my GP, I have been before when I was young and first had it and again when I was 20 and I think both times I was not help much at all. I will keep you posted and let you know what is said.

Once again thanks for all your support

Offline zink

• Bronze Member
I'm definitely in a similar position to you Alexfocus and I'm going to try to get surgery on the NHS too, we'll see how it goes.

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Cool let me know how it goes, I am waiting to see the GP at the moment for a blood test to make sure everything is ok there.

Offline A.k.a The Herbalist

Hi Alexfocus,
                  I had my gyne operation performed at Addenbrookes on the NHS back in august 2005, and I can't recommend them highly enough. everyone there (nurses, doctors, surgeon etc) were brilliant ;D. My surgeon was Mr Irwin and he did an excellent job. Here's a link to my original post op review. I hope it's useful to you and anyone else considering going to Addenbrookes for their op.

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php/topic,3033.0.html

All the best and keep us posted with your progress.  The Herbalist.

Offline Alexfocus

• Bronze Member
Thanks I have read your review and I have a doctor’s appointment on the 10th so I will ask him about getting it done there. Did you have to ask to get it done at Addenbrookes or did they offer?

Offline A.k.a The Herbalist

Hi,
    From what I can remember, my GP referred me to addenbrookes as it was the only hospital in my area that performed the op. If you live in the cambridgeshire area I would imagine that you'll be referred to them by your GP as well. If not you could always suggest it to your GP.
                                                            The Herbalist.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024