Author Topic: 4 weeks post op swelling  (Read 3140 times)

Offline bfg2000

• Posting Member
I'm a bit dis-heartened today. Whilst I've been wearing the compression vest over the last 3 weeks and while its on, I feel great and more importantly FLAT.

Now the vest is off, I think i'm swlling as I can see my moobs through my clothes again. Feel concious about my shape again and I'm beginning to panic - was it all a waste of time?

I've read other posts and it seems to be somewhat common, but is this down to compression time? ie, the longer the compression, the lesser the swelling? I've read some US/Canada posts who've been told to compress for 12 weeks, and we've been told 3!!

I've also read lots about stage-2 compression vests which are more like t-shirts but VERY tight. I've got a medium Nike pro top, and whilst it does compress, it's not overly tight. Should I move to a tighter vest/top??

I'm off to see Levick on Tuesday so we'll see what he thinks.

Offline outertrial

I wouldnt worry about it, unless theyve grown back in a few weeks, which doesnt seem that likely, then its probably swelling.

Offline Miggsy

• Posting Member
Hi BFG

I know how you feel - and it's somethign lots of other threads have spoken about. I get the same thing occassionally (I am 3.5 weeks post op), especially as one side of my chest is still bruised and the other is not, so they look different sizes. When I look down on my chest they seem very big again, but when I look in a mirror they look great again. I am sure it's something to do with my built in memory of what I should expect to see when I look down.

Please do let me know how you get on with Mr Levick. I am hoping to see him next week and I know one of my questions will be the same. I am trying to remind myself all the time that the full healing process will take time.....lots of time!

Good luck, and do post your thoughts from your Levick meeting tomorrow

Miggsy

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member

Hi BFG2000,

Your down days are perfectly normal I think.  I had a few when I was in the early stages of healing, and still get the occasional one now when I hope things were moving faster.  In the first month or so I would look at my chest and wonder why some patients had perfect chests as soon as they took the bandages off and mine looked like it had been trampled on by a herd of elephants.

As for your question about how long we should wear the compression vests for  .... well the folder does say you can wear it for longer that the 6 weeks if you care too.  What effect, if any it has, I couldn’t say, but I recall when I wore mine it did instil a certain sense of security knowing that it was keeping the swelling down.

As you say, you can ask all these questions and more when you go for your check up tomorrow.

Good luck and don’t worry, the chest will get better and better, just a lot more slowly than you would like.  ;)

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024