Author Topic: is this the real deal?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline Friederich Miescher

• Posting Member
Until a few days ago, I didn't even know there was such a thing as gynecomastia. However, upon doing some research, I'm almost positive I have it, and that it's the cause for a lot of my problems in life.

Here are a couple pictures, so you guys can take a look and let me know what you think, and below is a little history.

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aut0554zf9.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aut0556ry4.jpg

I first developed this around 11 or 12 years old or so. I wasn't a scrawny kid, but I wasn't really obese either at the time. The problem seemed to just keep getting worse initially, so my dad and I tried weight lifting. Of course, I got more toned and lost some weight, but that seemed to make matters worse. Eventually the teasing got so bad that I wound up being home schooled just to avoid the name calling. Losing weight didn't solve my problem, so I tried to mask it by gaining weight. The thought was "If my belly sticks out farther than these things, maybe nobody will notice. Of course, now in my adulthood, my master plan has failed, and not only are they still there, but now I'm also grossly obese.

My wife isn't convinced I have this condition, despite having told her the history you've just heard, and her knowledge that I never dated until I was almost 22 because I was afraid of the reaction, I've NEVER gone anywhere public without a shirt on, and the fact that we were engaged before she even saw me sans shirt for the first time.

She tells me that if I just lose weight, it will go away, but even though I have lost considerable weight recently, the size doesn't seem to be decreasing at all. If I lose too much more weight I'm worried I'm going to look like a male Dolly Parton.  :o

What do you guys think? Is it the real deal? If so, do you know any surgeons who work with patients as far as payment plans. The other issue is that we're broke, and without insurance which, from the sounds of it wouldn't do any good anyhow. So how do I come up with as much as $10k when we're lucky to have anything left over after bills?

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg
You need fat and skin removal, that's all I can say. Have you ever seen a doctor for that ? That could be a first step to know where the problems come from if any... I think that is the best solution for now.

• Posting Member
No, I've never talked to a doctor about pretty much any of this. I just accepted that I was big-chested. When my mom was pregnant with me, she took a (now-banned) medical drug that was renowned for causing birth defects. I've always chalked it up to that, because I hadn't heard of this condition.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sooner or later I'll get to a doctor to discuss options...

Offline Bolognianips

• Silver Member
If I were in your shoes, I would get lipo to the extent my skin will allow, for your confidance, then try and get your BMI into the 20's over a long period of time, then make any corrections you can.  If they took out the gland and lipoed all the fat you would definately need some skin removal.

• Posting Member
That's what I figured, that to get rid of everything would also require getting rid of excess skin.

I should have pointed out earlier that a few years ago, I did use diet and exercise to lose about 80 pounds from where I am today. The reason I re-gained the weight was that my breast size stayed almost the same, and I felt more self conscious then than when I was at the weight I'm at now, which was about the weight I was at before my diet program.

My biggest fear is that if I lose weight without some sort of surgery to give me a head start, it'll just be a repeat of last time.

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input jologs.

There's a Chinese proverb that translated says, 'Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. For the last almost two decades, I feel like I was still on that single step. Finding the information I have found in the last few weeks has made it feel as though I've just added 50 miles worth of steps to this journey. Sure, There's still a good 950 miles to go, but it's been very encouraging to find out that I'm not alone out there.

• Posting Member
Thanks for the input Aquilus. Doing the surgery in two steps makes sense, as it would be a big procedure.

And I would definitely prefer scars over gyne. I mean worst case scenario, I can always make up a cover story about them. "Oh yeah, I got those scars jumping in front of a crazed knife-wielding maniac to save a bunch of orphans. I know, I'm a hero."  ;D

But seriously, the peace of mind thing is a good call. The only thing about my chest that bothers my wife is that I won't take my shirt off in public. She's always trying to get me to do so, and I always refuse. When I pointed out that if I got this surgery I'd be willing to do so, she actually started giving it some thought.

Of course, the next obstacle is paying for the surgery to begin with. What sort of solutions have you (and others) come up with. I'm guessing I'm not the only person here who doesn't have $5000-$10,000 in the bank to spend on an operation. I know from experience that orthodontists often finance their patients, giving them a payment plan. Is this something any plastic surgeons might do? If not, is my only option to go out and put it on plastic? I'd hate to essentially max out my credit line which is supposed to be "emergency only".

Thanks for the input!

F.M.

Offline outertrial

Think of it as being like an investment. With the gyne gone youll feel so much more confident about yourself it can only help your career. You should lose the weight first though, youll feel much better about yourself as it goes and your skin will bemore likely to stretch back to normal when you have the op. Which will also make it cheaper. You need to have a definite promise to yourself that once youve lost x amount of weight youll have the surgery though otherwise its discouraging.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Friederich...

Your first plan of action must be fat loss. What is your weight now and how tall are you? Also, how old are you now? Sign-up with a gym and start eating a healthy diet. Just be more active ( wish I could follow my own advice :-\ ). You may want to consider a compression vest to secure your m(o)(o)bs while exercising. Once you are in a healthy weight range, then go for surgery.

You may want to consider a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon now ($100-$150). Get an idea of what has to be done, then start saving for surgery. Ten, twenty, thirty dollars a week. Any extra coin that you may have, put it into a separate savings account and don't touch it. That way, you will not need to borrow as much for surgery.

Sure it will be tough dude, but you can do it. Every time you get depressed or feel defeated, picture yourself with flat chest.

Good Luck!  ;)

Grandpa Bambu
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:39:39 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline topgun322

• Posting Member
Dude I would be able to help you with your diet if you are interested.

Thanks for the input jologs.

There's a Chinese proverb that translated says, 'Every journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step'. For the last almost two decades, I feel like I was still on that single step. Finding the information I have found in the last few weeks has made it feel as though I've just added 50 miles worth of steps to this journey. Sure, There's still a good 950 miles to go, but it's been very encouraging to find out that I'm not alone out there.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024