Author Topic: Sick Notes/Time Off Work...  (Read 4120 times)

Offline bikerboy2007

Just wondering what the score was regarding sick notes??
My job involves lifting things (upto about 15kg max), so if I was to have surgery, how long would I need off work? Would the sicknote say what I was off work for or could it be more discreet?

Thanks.

Offline steve21

• Posting Member
The sick note can say recovering from surgery. It doesnt have to go into specifics. I have not had the op myself (yet) but when i saw the surgeon, i was told 6 weeks off work.

Offline Done_n_dusted

• Posting Member
Levick offered me a sick note but I was off anyway so didn't need it. I got the impression it didn't need to go into detail, but didn't really go into it too much.

6 weeks sounds like a lot to me, I think for jobs that involved lifting etc Levick recommends 2 to 3 weeks. Personally I couldn't have gone back to a "manual" job for several months but I think I'm just a poor healer!
Levick'd and Happy Nov 2006

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
i was told 6 weeks off work.

That's a lot of coin to loose!   :o

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline NotFedup

• Gold Member
  • Surgery in Poland By Dr Baranski 24th Oct 2006
i believe after a week i could have gone back to work.
But i took a month off anyway as i get full pay when sick.
My doctor wrote "post surgical"
just tell your boss that iuts to have a growth removed in your chest :)
losing my moobs was almost as painless as losing my sanity

Offline outertrial

i was told 6 weeks off work.

That's a lot of coin to loose!   :o

GB

Your employer still has to pay you if youre off work sick in the UK, up to a point, my contract says I get 6 months on full pay. The minimum is usually a month.

Offline Time_to_fix_it

• Gold Member
Just wondering what the score was regarding sick notes??
My job involves lifting things (upto about 15kg max), so if I was to have surgery, how long would I need off work? Would the sicknote say what I was off work for or could it be more discreet?

Thanks.

Yes the sick note can be discreet especially if you talk it over with your surgeon beforehand.

Mr Levick (my PS) signed me off as having “chest surgery” for 2 weeks predominately because I climb ladders.  I believe for an office kind of job 1 week is quite normal.  For a manual lifting job I would have thought 4 weeks would be about right but then we all heal differently.  I would just say that if at the end of your sickness certificate that you do not feel ready to return to work then either go back to the surgeon or see your GP for another.

Surgery performed by Mr Levick at The Priory Hospital Bimingham (UK) 20th October 2006

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024