Author Topic: Driving after operation???  (Read 2493 times)

Offline aeroumr

• Posting Member
I am hoping to have gyne surgery in the next month or two.  I will be travelling alone about two hours to the clinic to have the procedure done.  Will it be safe for me to drive back home on the same day that I have the surgery?  I would like to spend the least amount of time in the recovery room as possible for financial reasons, while still being safe.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:53:24 PM by aeroumr »

Offline Preds

• Silver Member
They will not allow it for liability reasons.  They will call the police if you try.  Get a friend or relative to drive.
Post surgery
Got my shirt off right now!!!!! lol

DrBermant

I am hoping to have gyne surgery in the next month or two.  I will be travelling alone about two hours to the clinic to have the procedure done.  Will it be safe for me to drive back home on the same day that I have the surgery?  I would like to spend the least amount of time in the recovery room as possible for financial reasons, while still being safe.

To be able to drive after surgery depends on your comfort level and if any strong medications are needed.  Discomfort or powerful pain medications can impair your ability to drive safely. Sedation can also interfere with safe driving.  Patients need to wait until the sedation has worn off enough before they can drive themselves.

I prefer surgical techniques that  maximize comfort after surgery.  My patients typically seem comfortable with Tylenol alone.  When patients are this comfortable, they have driven many hours the day after surgery with no problems.  Each patient must assess their own situation and such issues are best discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
aeroumr....

I agree with Dr. Bermant. You will most likely have had some form of sedation during surgery. Please do not attempt to drive on your day of surgery. For everyones safety!

John.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 11:53:24 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline phantom

• Gold Member
In the UK driving within 24 hours of general anaesthetic will probably invalidate motor insurance.

I had surgery under general last Friday.  I did not feel comfortable driving until today, four days later as any sorness seems to be next to nothing now.  I feel well enough to return to work tomorrow.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024