Author Topic: scarring/puffiness post-op  (Read 3792 times)

Offline babble

• Posting Member
Okay, so I don't seem to be getting much feedback on my posts, so I'll just start a dairy of my progress.. hopefully it'll help someone else who comes along with questions.

I had excision only.  My chest was flat, and my scars were flat after I took of the dressing one week after surgery.  Soon after that I blew up again, right back to where I was, and my left scar became hard and raised.  

It's been 11 weeks since surgery.  The swelling has gone down alot, but my left nipple is puffy, and there seems to be a clump of something underneath. My right side is out a little, and like the left, there's a clump of something underneath.   My doctor tells me it's scar tissue, and that it typically get's worse up to 3 months after surgery, then starts to go down.  He says it can take up to 18 months for scar tissue to completely go away.   I've been applying silicone gel to the incision scars to help with redness and healing.

I'll keep posting my progress over the coming weeks and months.  Hopefully the information will be useful to people in similar situations in the days to come.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 12:49:21 PM by babble »

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
Okay, so I don't seem to be getting much feedback on my posts, so I'll just start a dairy of my progress.. hopefully it'll help someone else who comes along with questions.

I had excision only.  My chest was flat, and my scars were flat after I took of the dressing one week after surgery.  Soon after that I blew up again, right back to where I was, and my left scar became hard and raised.  

It's been 11 weeks since surgery.  The swelling has gone down alot, but my left nipple is puffy, and there seems to be a clump of something underneath. My right side is out a little, and like the left, there's a clump of something underneath.   My doctor tells me it's scar tissue, and that it typically get's worse up to 3 months after surgery, then starts to go down.  He says it can take up to 18 months for scar tissue to completely go away.   I've been applying silicone gel to the incision scars to help with redness and healing.

I'll keep posting my progress over the coming weeks and months.  Hopefully the information will be useful to people in similar situations in the days to come.

At 11 weeks u should have an idea, Im at 4 weeks and I feel as if mine are not what I was told they would be...........PUFFY STILL............Do u have photos?Where did u have it done?
This is a great site and all should be proud to take part........

Offline babble

• Posting Member
Hey Crow,
I think right now we'll just have to wait it out and not make any judgements.  There are alot of people who seem to think that doctors are lying when they say it's still scar tissue at this point, and I'm sure people have had bad experiences, but I guess those are the ones who come to forms like this to talk about it  :)   I've also read of people in the same situation who worked out over time.

I'm just going patiently wait it out.  He has no reason to bullshit me, he'll get paid by MCP to do a revision just as he did the original op.  He said the best thing to do is get it off my mind because it could take a long time.  He also said that scarring (causing both contour and skin problems) is at it's worse at 3 months, and that it's common to look better post op then at 3 months

I'll keep posting for sure.

Peace and best of luck

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
Hey Crow,
I think right now we'll just have to wait it out and not make any judgements.  There are alot of people who seem to think that doctors are lying when they say it's still scar tissue at this point, and I'm sure people have had bad experiences, but I guess those are the ones who come to forms like this to talk about it  :)   I've also read of people in the same situation who worked out over time.

I'm just going patiently wait it out.  He has no reason to bullshit me, he'll get paid by MCP to do a revision just as he did the original op.  He said the best thing to do is get it off my mind because it could take a long time.  He also said that scarring (causing both contour and skin problems) is at it's worse at 3 months, and that it's common to look better post op then at 3 months

I'll keep posting for sure.

Peace and best of luck

Great to hear u have your head on and your PS. is good......I want to feel this way also  :)so i will take some of your advice as u look like u will be okay..........If I can help in anyway please let me know.........let me also know how it is going, by post here or privet message..........

Ya also u would thinkl the PS would not bull u and i hope that is my case also, as u said the fourm it can be hard as their are somany opinions..........

All the best keep your head up............. 8)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:57:50 AM by crow »

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I had a Rolfer work on the scar tissue, very painful, but it solved the problem.

Merle
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline Allan7865

• Gold Member
MASSAGE THE CHEST AREA AROUND THE NIPPLE.

Yes its true, it will reduce the scarring and hopefully break it up. You will see a diffrence in your nipples.

Offline babble

• Posting Member
It's been over 13 weeks since surgery.   Just past the 3 month mark.  My areola seems to be extruding (puffed) just a little more, but the scars look much better.  I'm hoping I'm at the point where the scar tissue will stop pushing my areola out, and start breaking up, and flattening out.   My right side is out sightly, but still much better that the left.  You can feel a clump underneath each nipple, right side has a much more 'masculine' contour, doesn't stick out as much.

Check back soon...
Babble

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
It's been over 13 weeks since surgery.   Just past the 3 month mark.  My areola seems to be extruding (puffed) just a little more, but the scars look much better.  I'm hoping I'm at the point where the scar tissue will stop pushing my areola out, and start breaking up, and flattening out.   My right side is out sightly, but still much better that the left.  You can feel a clump underneath each nipple, right side has a much more 'masculine' contour, doesn't stick out as much.

Check back soon...
Babble

Did the Ps tell how long to wait? I have the same prob and not sure if mine is scar tissue or not........Hopefully that will be the case for all of us with its prob.........

U can privet message me or post here if u like to talk about it.....

All the best 8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 12:23:07 PM by crow »

Offline babble

• Posting Member
crow,
he told me that it will get worse up to around three months, then start to subside.  According to him, at first, after surgery, your chest is flat, and your scars look great.   In many cases the scar tissue will build up causing contour issues, and ugly scarring, getting at it's worst at the 3 month mark, then improving significantly the following 3 months, then slowly, up to 18 months after surger before the changes completely stop (noting that the most noticable improvements occur between months 3-9.  I'm no doctor, just relaying a message.  And everyone will be different.  Apparently this is a guide for the typical evolution of scar tissue.

You seem very concerned about this.  I'll tell you what he told me.  Best bet is to get it off your mind because it can take a while.  I'll check back when I notice changes.

Offline crow

• Gold Member
  • All a big help thanks
crow,
he told me that it will get worse up to around three months, then start to subside.  According to him, at first, after surgery, your chest is flat, and your scars look great.   In many cases the scar tissue will build up causing contour issues, and ugly scarring, getting at it's worst at the 3 month mark, then improving significantly the following 3 months, then slowly, up to 18 months after surger before the changes completely stop (noting that the most noticable improvements occur between months 3-9.  I'm no doctor, just relaying a message.  And everyone will be different.  Apparently this is a guide for the typical evolution of scar tissue.

You seem very concerned about this.  I'll tell you what he told me.  Best bet is to get it off your mind because it can take a while.  I'll check back when I notice changes.

Thanks for your help.......and Yes it does bug me as it has been very tramatic for me......But as your saying the scaring may be why i still have puffyness and not flat......
My Ps has told me very little and I really dont have any idea on what to expect......This is why i am concerned, I dont knonw what is going on after being told 6 weeks and I am going to be flat?..................

Thanks for your extra help............

All the best 8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 07:03:54 PM by crow »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024