Author Topic: Finally time! SURGERY COMPLETE!!!  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Going to jump straight in and say this forum opened everything up for me.

Been suffering from Gyno for years, longer than I can remember... now 25. Just like everyone else, this has been on my mind forever, from clothes to girlfriends, to making up every excuse under the sun not to do something that involved swimming/holidays etc.

Enough is enough.

Decided to have to have surgery.  If I had known about this at 18 and didnt think it was just some sort of fat, I would have had it done then! However, I went from skinny fat to pretty fit, then it hit me, the doctor didn't know sh*t... Said it was fat. So I carried on... as time went on, I stopped going to the gym depressed with what was happening, let myself go.... put on weight at least being a little chubby I could palm it off with just being a little round.

Well I decided that, after all this time, I want to be able to wear a t-shirt and not even think twice about it... I often wonder how it would feel, how my friends feel being able to do whatever they feel like without having to think twice about a pair of moobs getting in the way.

I guess the final straw came, when I was starting a relationship with a beautiful woman, yet within myself did not have the confidence or I guess lack of confidence, to be open with her... I decided from that moment this had to go.

I want to say thank you to everyone on these forums, reading through all the stories helped me get the courage to get this done.

My surgery is in just over a week. I'm booked in with Levick - anyone that is pondering a visit, do it! I can assure you leaving that consultation I could not wait to have the surgery. And with just over a week to go, it doesn't feel real.

I cannot wait!!

Pre op and post ops pics will be put up as soon as bandages come off.

I feel that I should write a little post once the procedure is done. For those that are still in two minds, and for those that are worried about doing this.

Watch this space!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:38:34 AM by Btgl88 »

Offline Stem

• Bronze Member
Good to hear. Good luck buddy, you won't regret it!

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Thank you mate!

Paid for it today.... Nerves kicking in!

Been through a few tough patches, but the thought of having surgery..  :o But I know I want it.

Just a quick one for people that have had it with Levick, did anyone drive home the day after?

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Nobody?

Im getting really nervous about it all... What did people take? Im due to go in less than 48 hours...

Do you really need a robe? Slippers? After the surgery do you get changed or not? I guess you have the drains in all night, do you put a top on over it?

Offline improving

• Silver Member
I didn't drive home, my mom took me home. I could have probably dealt with a short drive home, but you will find yourself a bit stiff and the bandages held me in a slightly awkward posture.

You don't need robe and slippers. Especially in this heat. I had mine done in the winter and i slept in my boxers. They provide you with a gown to wear during your stay. You can take slippers in if you want to walk down to theatre in, i just wore my trainers and then someone took them back to my room.

Drains are in over night yes, as i say you will be given a gown to wear.

Don't panic too much mate, the thought is worse than anything else. Try to relax and think of a gyne free life, you're in great hands. Nerves are completely normal, its not a normal situation to be in.

As for what i took in with me, ipod w/ couple of films, couple of magazines, change of comfortable baggy clothes, and a towel/toiletries. Remember Levick has done so many of these procedures, if you click the link in my signature theres a write up of my stay at the Priory, might be helpful.

See you on the other side! :)

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Hi, thanks for the advice! Especially the robe bit was just about to run out to buy one!

I have to admit, I've read your thread quite a few times! I've taken pics today and thought this is all going to be over! I trimmed up, and it looks even worse! Haha

I honestly can't wait! I'm in tomorrow. All feels so weird!!

Thanks again! Just being able to air thoughts on it to you guys on here has been a massive help!

I'm sure ill be writing a post op report tomorrow!

Offline jamie10

• Bronze Member
Hey hope the surgery goes well, we look forward to seeing the results ;)

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Looking forward to following another great recovery!

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Well im done! :-D I have written a day diary of everything just waiting to finish it and will post it up...

Thanks for the support guys

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Surgery - This is a long post! Half of which will be useful, the other half... well just wasting time.

Arrived at the hospital at 11:30

Was greeted by a very friendly porter and shown to room at 11:35 - Showed how things worked etc.
Currently sat in the room, typing this...A million thoughts going through my head. I can't believe I'm actually sitting here waiting to be operated on. I never thought I would actually do it. Always hoping and praying that it would go away with the gym or dieting. We all know that is not the case. 

For anyone else thinking about the operation, I am typing this "live". So any thoughts and experiences will be shared as I can type them. I think this way is best, I guess to keep my mind occupied whilst waiting for the call to go in. 

I had a 3 hour drive in, which wasn't so bad. But getting to the hospital, butterflies started. 
The catering lady just walked in, I've ordered the grilled cod - not that this is of any interest... The menu is quite good for those planning to stay at the Priory.

The room is quite large, just a little smaller than the usual Holiday Inn hotel rooms. I have the last room on the floor, ground level can see out.. Those curtains will be closed shortly there is no way anyone apart from who needs to see me is seeing me! 

I'm quite happy that we have a private room, I'm a private person, so doing this at all is a major shock to myself. But the thought have having a ripped body in 6 months times is keeping me sane. 
First thing post op will be diet check. As soon as I'm ready to to hit the gym even if it means not working chest I will be there. As you will soon see from the pics I have a few pounds to lose! 

Nurse just came in! Be right back!

11:55 I have my gowns, socks... just got ready. The nurse - Mary took my blood pressure she was very kind and caring. Explained everything. Nerves well and truly at PEAK!

I have some gel on both hands so that it can numb the needle - massive phobia!
I know I keep saying this BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! The wait is killing me. I'm so scared about this all now. All the what ifs are running through my mind. This is where the forum comes in, and this is why I'm typing this. Other "success stories" is why I am here today, and if this post helps anyone come to a decision then I'm happy about that. However me sitting here saying how scared I am like a little girl probably isn't helping! LOL

Time is now 12:07. It's only been just over half an hour, but it feels like a lot longer. Saying that I have my consultation 5 weeks ago and well it feels like I was here last week! 
I'm also starving. Was up at 0600 and well not being able to eat doesn't help. Didn't have too much of a deep sleep probably because my mind was playing tricks regarding today, but I made it and I'm here. Coming to think of it, the lady asked what I wanted for dinner... I guess that means no lunch. I'll double check on that and come back to you.

12:50 The main man just popped in. I'm going to be seen in around 2 hours for surgery. Someone had jumped the queue, not sure what that was about but I think I'll have a little nap or watch a movie. Actually a little gutted as I was well up for it and ready. Saying that, I think by the time it's my turn its just going to be like let's get on with it. Which may actually benefit me.
Movie Time. 

I slept instead.... time is now 14:20. Just had the afternoon nurses pop in to introduce themselves - I thought it was time. As I thought, I am now at the stage were nerves have gone. Just want to get on with it, so I can have a drink and some food! haha So I'm sort of alright. No doubt walking down to theatre that will all change. But that's just the way it is, a lot of emotion and confused feelings. 
Sound's odd, but I've been looking in the mirror over and over, grabbing the lumps and basically telling myself - they will be no more. Which is really really strange.
I'm finding all this quite surreal at the moment, as if it's not real. Yes I know that sounds stupid, however my aim is to write everything I feel and experience. Sitting here kind of bored. Hoping to go in by 3pm. 
Oh - if you are planning on doing this alone, don't! I was planning to, but I told my mum. She doesn't quite understand what all the fuss is about, but has been very supportive and basically an ear. I've called her a few times just to talk. At least she knows the score. In fact, by doing this I've actually become a lot more open with her. I'm a closed person and this ordeal has changed the way I am. Well this forum I'm typing all of this because I don't know any of you, but we are all in the same boat. I actually happy about the fact I didn't hide it from her, like I do everything else. Pretty much everything kept inside. Is it because of Gyno? Could it actually be that damaging to ones self? Who knows. But I'll soon find out how it changes you, just like many of you have done so :-).

Time 1445 - Just been called to go in. SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE!!!! 

22:22 WOW. Just managed to get the iPad, Feel very strange - GA. So I'm done. The amount of gunk taken out was shocking! I'm laying in bed, been sleeping since I got back. In and out of sleep, forced myself to eat. The meal actually tasted better than some restaurants I've been too! So no complaints there.

The SURGERY - So I got picked up by the nurse, walking down she was very talkative. Went into see the anaesthetist, was a very bubbly team. Kept me calm. I knocked out, next thing I know I'm chatting gibberish a harsh throat. That wasn't fun. I kept falling asleep, to be woken up. As they wanted to take me back to room. When getting back. I fell asleep, it was a strange sleep, like I was half awake then sleeping, throat wasn't much better. I couldn't move much either. The main man Paul, just before I went under, came in and took pics. He was great - smiled and said. "Time to start day 1 of our new free life" That put me at ease, knowing he had it and knows what he is doing makes you feel a lot better.
He came into the room at around 7pm to show me the pics. I remember a lot of gland there, but can't remember much else, so will wait for the pics. Food came shortly after that but I couldn't eat it. The guy that came in and woke me up apologised and said he felt bad, but he had to tell me the food was there. I left it, my throat was too bad to eat, and I was shaky. 

An hour or so later, I woke up and forced myself to eat. Was cold, but likeI said it was good! At that point I didn't care. I hadn't eaten since 2200 the night before so I was eating good and proper. As soon as I ate I went back to sleep. Woke up and started typing at 22:22. 

Time now is 22:45. Might ask for another sandwich as I'm still hungry. Which is a good sign. My drains are plugged in. Not so much blood so I'm happy about that. Had a little dizzy spell when going to the toilet - guessing to do with the whole need thing.

Not in any pain, just one nagging little bit on my right hand side, where the incision was. That's about it. Nurse just came in with a cuppa. Man I'm looking forward to this!!
Nothing else much to report. Back soon.

00:30 after watching a movie, now time for sleep. GA is still hanging over me... The nurse managed to get me a salmon salad so I ate that. So nice and full before bed.

01:45 - Toilet - woken up by the urgent need of going to the toilet. Managed to unplug myself from the leg pressure, and take the drains with me.

03:20 Another toilet break. 

05:30 Wake up again for the toilet. I haven't even drank that much either, but I'm guessing its the drugs. I've decided to stay awake now. I slept most of the day yesterday and the hours through the night were pretty deep.

In terms of feeling of pain - not really there is sort of small dull ache, but thats about it. The right hand side I was feeling yesterday has 80% gone so thats just dull too.
I have been able to walk around, brush my teeth with no problems at all. It just all feels really weird. I think breakfast is around 7. So off to watch a movie. Further updates to follow - including drain removal! That scares me more than the procedure itself! But we shall see.
06:00 - Nurse came in with pain killers, antibiotics and to check my blood pressure and drains. Not so much blood drained, I hope that is a good thing. Will ask Levick. Also had a cuppa, so now waiting for breakfast. 

0700 Breakfast delivered... going back to sleep.

0900 - Main man Levick turned up, gave me some post op instructions and a pic. Turned off the vacuum for the drains. 

0945 - Drain removal time.... I was so scared about this due to what some people have gone through. What I decided to do was record it, so as long as we can post videos on here I can show you exactly how it is. It wasn't painful, I could feel it, sort of like a little burning... I can feel it more now though, more so on my left side (one I recorded) vs the right.
Nurses throughout the procedure knew I was terrified and we all had a good laugh and giggle - which lightened my mood.

10:12 I'm dressed, having a cup of tea and relaxing to get picked up to go home.
Will post all the pics I've taken and the video when I get to a computer.

Any questions please let me know :-)  ;D

Offline improving

• Silver Member
Good write up, brought back some memories! Congrats on your new life man, welcome to the other side. 8)

Offline Ricardo7

• Silver Member
Quality write up! Congratulations, you're on the other side :)

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
Thanks Guys! Soreness has kicked in though... Was waiting for this haha

Offline jamie10

• Bronze Member
Congrats! Well done mate!

Quick question - Are you allowed to drive yourself home the next day? I was planning on doing that if possible...

Look forward to seeing pics :)

Offline Btgl88

• Posting Member
I don't think so. Well they asked me I said I thought about it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Arms are stiff and you wouldn't have full control mate

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024