Author Topic: Surgery with Levick 7th May 14 (2 week photos added)  (Read 10208 times)

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Hello guys.

I'm lying here post op, wide awake after hours of broken sleep, and thought I'd share my experience.

As with most, suffered since teenage years but managed to hide it really well in the right clothes (shirts with chest pockets were a godsend  ;D), keeping nips in 'cold state' when shirt off in public etc. I can't wait to buy tops I like without having to try them on to make sure they cover it up!

Anyway, decided to follow the advice of a recent poster who said if this helps one person it's worth it, so here is my experience of the last couple of days!

Consultation yesterday at 2pm...Levick a genuinely nice man, I didn't need to explain what i had gone through, he's been there himself and everything he went through I could relate to! My wife was with me (had the 'these nothing wrong' speech a number of times) but she was amazed when he explained it all and showed her where it was.

Surgery was booked a month ago for the day after my consultation as I had a 3+ Hour drive.

After night out in Birmingham's broad street (on the lemonade), it was early start at the priory for 8am. I was relatively calm, don't know if this was down to the speed everything happened, but a few nerves did kick in just after 10am when I realised surgery was in 30 minutes.

Had the usual chat with levick, excellent again. and also with dr Patel who would send me to sleep.

Was taken down just after 10:30, strangest feeling going under, took little longer than I expected, closer to the 10 seconds, but next thing I knew I was waking up and being told is had the operation. Didn't register at first where I was...very strange! Was taken back to my room where the missus was waiting! Very drowsy I have to say.

Sipped water when I could, managed half of my sandwich as mouth was dry and struggled to eat it. Lemon sorbet for desert was lush!

Over the course of the day I tried to get as much sleep as I could, 4 or 5 minutes at a time!!! Leg compression pumps kept waking me and nurses often popping in to take readings!

Levick came back in to see me. Said he got more out than he expected and will get photos sorted for tomorrow.  He said it went well so fingers crossed!

By tea time I was much more comfortable, throat not as dry, feeling more myself. Movement is restricted due to vest and ice pack underneath, but sort of getting used to it.

Anyway that's enough rambling...any questions feel free to ask!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:04:41 AM by Swilson29 »

Mikec1294

Congrats!

Had my surgery last Wednesday. When I saw my chest for the first time it just felt so surreal... I looked down and was like omg wtf (in the best way possible)!!!

Offline LeonsWorld

Hey Swilson, I also had my surgery at 8am, bit strange do you think he does more than one patient at a time? I'm up right now due to drifting in and out of sleep all day. Same experience with anaesthetic as you, also finding the compression garment a little uncomfortable - otherwise I've found the treatment and care here first class!

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Hi leonsworld.

Yes I was second in today...must have been you in before me. He said he was going to warm up on you first  ;D ;D ;D.

Seriously though he did mention yours had gone well when I spoke to him just before I went under.

Yeah vest a little uncomfortable but only 6 more days of wearing it! It will fly by I hope!

I feel great today apart from that...but groggy yesterday for few hours after surgery but gradually got better as the day went on. Nurses have been brilliant I have to say.

Hope your recovery goes well mate!

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Congrats!

Had my surgery last Wednesday. When I saw my chest for the first time it just felt so surreal... I looked down and was like omg wtf (in the best way possible)!!!

Yeah looking forward to seeing it mate. I got a sort of sneak look when they adjusted my vest yesterday but it was under the ice vest so couldn't see properly. Looked flat though.

Bet your happy to get the garment off after 7 days!

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Swilsion / LeonsWorld / Mikec1294

congrats all on your surgery - Mr Levick has been a busy bunny with his "special pliers" it seems!

look forward to following your progress - hope you all start your own threads and post pics - even though I am 16 weeks post surgery as of today, it is still strangely comforting to follow other guys recovery too!

Good luck all - a T-shirted summer is just around the corner  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Cheers donut.

I must have read your thread a few times...excellent and let's people know what to expect on their journey!

I plan to post pictures once I get this vest off. Managed to take a few before's when waiting to go into surgery so will be interesting to compare.

I'm off on holiday 21st July...sort of hoping things are ok'ish by then!

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Levick been in for final chat and to hand over the burger shot. Can't believe how much he took out.

Also had my ice vest removed so got a look at my chest...FLAT!!! Didn't look like me!

I know it won't stay as flat as that...and tbh I will look to build up in the gym once time allows, but first impressions are wow! Didn't expect it at all!

The journey begins...

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Day 2 post op. Home after 4 hour drive. Tried to walk around a bit and sitting/lying on sofa in between.

Is this ok or should I be spending time in bed?

Can feel swelling under vest more so on right side than left, and weird sensations (like little pin pricks). Guessing this is all normal. Bruising also showing just above garment  (not much but it's there).

Offline ian89

• Silver Member
The bruising above the bandage is normal, it will get worse before it gets better. Everything else you said is normal, im 10 weeks and still nowhere near healed,i've still get swelling now it is very slowly reducing, when you read it can take upto a year you will realise in a few weeks how true that is.

Don't spend extra lengths of time in bed but don't do anything that could cause stress on your chest. Do what you are doing, walk and do general things to keep you active. You will grow to hate that compression bandage so much in the 7 days but when it's off you'll be the happiest man alive.

Don't worry too much about everything, time does fly and it does get better.

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Thanks ian89.

I guessed it was normal, just had no swelling at all when in the priory - putting this down to the ice contraption they put under the compression vest - obviously keeps things cool and in check.

I am probably 44 hours post surgery now (just woke up after nice 7 hour sleep - longest I've had for a couple of days), and things definitely feel tender when I move about. Can feel swelling just above compression vest. Will continue with medication, and try to keep active as I can by walking around the house.

Anybody got any tips on diet over the recovery period, as don't want to put too much weight on. I'm usually a pretty active person - gym 2-3 times a week this time of year plus golf 2-3 times per week.

Would high protein low carb diet be advised or would this hinder recovery?

Offline Donut

• Gold Member
Don't just lie around - walking is good for you, but nothing too strenuous.

Diet - loads and loads of fresh pineapple juice (helps keep swelling down), plenty of vitamin C and a good multivitamin, your arnica pills (don't know if they do any good, but can't harm!) - and I also took Bromelain (get from Holland & Barrett) - again to keep swelling down.  Apart from that, just try to eat healthy, don't starve yourself as that won't help recovery, but perhaps a few less calories that normal as you'll be a little less active.  I put on half a stone over first 3 months of recovery, so trying to lose that again now.

Bruising all normal, weird sensations is all normal too - its all to do with where nerves get cut through / disturbed, and they gradually reconnect and sort themselves out!

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
I'm taking arnica as per mr levicks instructions. Also got bromelain from H&B so starting on that. Other than that I am not taking anything else. Might get a good multivitamin as makes sense to make sure the body is getting what it needs.

Yeah good advice about reducing calories. Think I'll start logging food intake on myfitnesspal to keep track!

Anyone any thoughts on green tea post surgery. I know it should probably be avoided before as it may thin out blood and increase bruising etc. but it has excellent anti inflammatory properties so thinking it might be a good drink over the coming weeks. 

Half a stone...is that just off not being active/taking it easy? Are u finding it easy to lose?

Offline Swils29

• Bronze Member
Scratch that last thought about green tea, checked out a number of sites and they advise to avoid it for a couple of weeks post surgery as it can thin the blood and lead to increased swelling/bruising!

Offline ian89

• Silver Member
How you feeling?

Feels weird doesn't it, all that build up to the op and then all of a sudden your home and it's done wondering what you got so worked up about.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024