Author Topic: Blood tests etc  (Read 2117 times)

Offline CAP

• Posting Member
I thought I'd post this is a separate thread from my previous post, as I'd like a wider range of input.

I've been reading through the threads and seen blood tests, testical examinations and breast tissue samples/scans have all been variously mentioned by you guys when seeing a consultant.

My GP nor the consultant I saw on Saturday have ever done any kind of tests, or taking of samples/scans.  Should I be worried about this at all.  I've had gyne since puberty, and told them so... so may be they recon that tests are not needed... anyone here know?

???

Thanks

Offline Bob1981

• Silver Member
Hmm, yes, I'd also like to know more about this.  I'm off to see the doctor on tuesday, to get checked up before I commit to surgery.

Offline Hypo-is-here

I posted this answer elswhere- I think it covers what is being asked.

An endocrinologist should definitely perform blood pathology on a man who has gynecomastia along with a taking of their medical history and an examination in order to try and ascertain any underlying cause.

Typically a minimum pathology of the following would be expected;

LH
FSH
Testosterone free or serum/total
SHBG
Prolactin
Estradiol
TSH
HCG

Sometimes the following is taken;

DHT (particularly if propecia or antiandrogens has been used)
Free T3
Thyroid antibodies
Cortisol

Depending on anything found in the consultation or bloods an endocrinologist maybe directed to other tests as deemed neccessary.

Usually the pathology will be relatively straightforward.  Most people/the majority of people have gynecomastia because of a temporary pubertal imbalance of hormones and people are told that there is nothing to worry about.  In a minority of cases (a significant one mind) an underlying cause is found/diagnosed and sometimes this requires treatment, sometimes the gynecomastia is found to be caused by a side effect of drugs taken by the person (prescribed or otherwise).

People should request a copy of their pathology results so that they can look at them in their own good time and post them on support groups like this one in order to get an independent lay persons opinion as to the nature of their results.

A referral to an endocrinologist is required.  If a person approaches their gp and informs them that they would like a referral to see an endcorinologist because they have gynecomastia and want to make sure their is no underlying problem the gp should have no problem in making a referral as long as gynecomastia is evident.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024