Author Topic: diet/nutrition  (Read 4814 times)

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
had to post this; seems like every post i come across there is ignorant advice and people /biching about not being able to lose weight, not wanting to exercise.

there is nothing magic about weightloss.

remember 1 thing.

calories in vs calories out

u do not need exercise period to lose unwanted fat.  What you need to do is figure out based on your BMI how many kcals you burn each day, and eat less than that.. everyday, no cheating.  This can be accomplished through changing your diet to have many meals throughout the day.  This is not nec however.  Coutnless studies have proven that it virtually doesnt matter when, how many, or what you eat.

calories in

vs

calories out

i'm sorry again if this is a duhh for people, but some of you will truely be surprized at how many people are quite ignorant in terms of the basic elements of nutrition.

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
some great feeds for you guys..

www.bodybuilding.com

www.anabolicminds.com

go to the fat loss section..

the forum has many many people that are not into bodybuilding and you will find everything you need, and get great advice on how to set up a meal plan/diet.

Offline nothingworse

• Gold Member
Gynosucks1 you have posted a lot of great tips. I think you should definetely lose weight if you have a lot of excess before surgery. If you have an extra 20 pounds or are just carrying around a bit extra thats fine but, if you have like 75 plus pounds to lose then you should try that first. I had 20 extra pounds and I lost them and shrunk my chest size a bit and I felt better about myself. Now I am going to lower my bodyfat by about 6%-8% to get my abs showing again and to tone up a bit.

Offline tonysoprano

• FORGEDDABOUDIT!
had to post this; seems like every post i come across there is ignorant advice and people /biching about not being able to lose weight, not wanting to exercise.

there is nothing magic about weightloss.

remember 1 thing.

calories in vs calories out

u do not need exercise period to lose unwanted fat.  What you need to do is figure out based on your BMI how many kcals you burn each day, and eat less than that.. everyday, no cheating.  This can be accomplished through changing your diet to have many meals throughout the day.  This is not nec however.  Coutnless studies have proven that it virtually doesnt matter when, how many, or what you eat.

calories in

vs

calories out

i'm sorry again if this is a duhh for people, but some of you will truely be surprized at how many people are quite ignorant in terms of the basic elements of nutrition.

dude...exercise aside...and with all else being equal
are you suggesting that its better for one to eat say 3 high/medium fat, takeaway things a day, that add up to 1500cals by day's end, than it is to eat about 6 smaller and lowfat,low-sugar,high-fibre healthy meals that add up to 1800 total , in terms of simply achieving fat-loss, rather than overall health benefits?

Im just curious as to whether you are disregarding metabolic rates at different times of day?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 09:59:55 PM by tonysoprano »
... and the saga continues

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member

dude...exercise aside...and with all else being equal
are you suggesting that its better for one to eat say 3 high/medium fat, takeaway things a day, that add up to 1500cals by day's end, than it is to eat about 6 smaller and lowfat,low-sugar,high-fibre healthy meals that add up to 1800 total , in terms of simply achieving fat-loss, rather than overall health benefits?

Im just curious as to whether you are disregarding metabolic rates at different times of day?

i'm sorry i'm lazy.  but plz disregard any of these notions you have ever heard about speeding up your metabolism through various partitioning of macro nutrients.  Countless studies have shown it doesn't matter what you eat, when you eat, or how many times u spread your diet during the day.  Your metabolic rate will not change unless you are severely restricting your calories over a prolonged period of time.  Basically in a sense becoming anorexic.

for the simple dieter who is not morbidly obese a simple -500 kcal diet plan is the standard.  

with this aside, eating the proper foods has an effect not on overall weight loss, but well being/energy/function both cognitive/physical.

eating all high gi carbs, or eating a balanced diet with the same calorie outputs will result in the same weight loss.  However, your appetite/energy levels, will not be the same and i very much doubt anyone can maintain a deficit eating all sugar for very long before a severe crash.

Anyway, for the casual dieter, this notion of 1.5, 2 grams of protein bodybuilders have built up as the standard for cutting cycles is useless....

I suggest reading lyle's UD2 diet because it gives all the info needed on basic weight loss.

but to simplify things.

to a certain bodyfat% it really doesn't matter how much protien/fat/carbs you are taking in.  You will get to it either way by restricting calories and keep the same amount of lean muscle.

say we have a patient X.

this patients bodyfat through conventional dieting is 12%.  After 12% his same diet results in abnormal loss of lean muscle.. still weight loss, but it seems now muscle is coming off as well as fat.  Well here is the case where partitioning carbs/fats/protien and maintaining a perfect kcal defecit is KEY.

based on genetics people burn different ratios of lean muscle/fat when on a diet

and gain different amounts of lean muscle/fat when bulking.

but the good news, i'm sure 99% of you are not bodybuilders, and would be quite satisfied with 15% bodyfat.  15% bodyfat is achieved by virtually everyone through conventional means.  and MOST could easily get to 10-11% through simple convention if they dont have a quite impressive physique as it is and don't have that much lean muscle to lose.

ie summarize... if you are not into bodybuilding, and don't have lean muscle past ur set point that u worked hard to get.  Losing the extra fat you currently have need not be so complicated... Eat a balanced diet, not STRICT.. eat foods that fill you up, and focus 10000000000% on just the number of calories you choose to be negative.

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
my advice.

eat what your body is craving

moderation

and make the priority to maintain your defecit and not on what kind of foods to eat.  your body will tell u what it wants.  if one night ur meal consists of carbs, and you are still at your calorie marker that is fine.

carbs, fats, protien are not evil.  and thinking of overeating on one of these based on a daily schedule is wrong.  Again.. think Weeks, not days.

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Moderation.....

......is the key!

Too much of one thing is not good....  :-/

John.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 02:38:23 AM by Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member

......is the key!

Too much of one thing is not good....  :-/

John.

hehe, just really hate to see people struggle and make something so easy.. so damn complicated.

honestly id ont blame anyone.. if u ever bother to skim through a fatkins of a southbitch diet you will notice there is nothing in there about how those diets work

which is creating an overal net calorie defecit.

sure they pretty much touch on the point by making it wayy to complicated that u pretty much lose track on how the diet is working alltogether.

Offline IlluminaZero

• Bronze Member
  • What the hell is YaBB 1G - SP1!?
Generally straying from eating junk food, eating nutrient dense foods, and being moderately physically active is good enough to lose weight. (I'm sorry TMNT, but the pizza has to go...!)

Unfortunately, the more fat tissue you've accumulated the harder it is to burn it down.

It can certainly be done, however. It doesn't have to be a dramatic change either, oftentimes a diet change and a total of 60-90 minutes of moderate/vigorous activity (*cough* walking *cough*) a day is good enough to gradually lose weight. (60-90 minutes may sound like a lot, but remember this is TOTAL... So it counts even small things like walking to work.)

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
Generally straying from eating junk food, eating nutrient dense foods, and being moderately physically active is good enough to lose weight. (I'm sorry TMNT, but the pizza has to go...!)

Unfortunately, the more fat tissue you've accumulated the harder it is to burn it down.

It can certainly be done, however. It doesn't have to be a dramatic change either, oftentimes a diet change and a total of 60-90 minutes of moderate/vigorous activity (*cough* walking *cough*) a day is good enough to gradually lose weight. (60-90 minutes may sound like a lot, but remember this is TOTAL... So it counts even small things like walking to work.)

sorry but i have to strongly disagree with this philosphey.  most people who start with this mindset end up eating just as much healthy food in kcal value.. exercising, then making it up with extra calories to compensate.

like i said, dont worry about what you are eating, more about the calories.  

ie not counting calories and just eating healthy food and exercising is not going to work for 99.9% of overweight individuals.  

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
and this all goes back again to the fact that there is no such thing as junk food.  

All food is made out of the same macro nutrients...

and don't even get me started on the GI index which is completely bs.

and doesn't take into account the fact that when u consume fats/protiens.. other carbs with different gi index that things get completely thrown off .

ie... eating pure sugar after u had a rich fatty meal with some wheat bread is not going to have the same effect... not nearly the same effect as having pure sugar alone with no other food.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
I kind of agree with you gynosucks.  In my experience I have not really counted cals so much as cut out all the rubbish I was eating.

Initially I counted cals as a rough guide but now I don't at all and iam still losing weight .I think if youare just dieting  and hardly doing any exercise at all then I believe you are right that counting calories is essential.

But if you are doing a lot of phys everday then I think it matters less about counting calories.And more about what you are eating. my two cents.

Offline gynosucks1

• Gold Member
well heres the thing.  LIke it or not if ur losing weight ur burning more kcals than ur taking in.

if u happen to achieve that by not counting calories, hey.. go for it.

just know there's nothing magic about fat loss.  Your body is constantly in between anabolic/catabolic states.  IE dont think of exercise as u burning off fat... it doesn't work that way.  

only point im making here is it's a long process and i just have to shake my head whenever i hear somone talk about certain amounts of exercise and burning off that fat while running.  

exercise is just a way to burn kcals.  it has numerous benefits towards health, but as far as strict weight loss... again, just a way to burn off calories.

Offline IlluminaZero

• Bronze Member
  • What the hell is YaBB 1G - SP1!?
Yes, I suppose that is true... Simply eating healthy foods does not take into consideration the quantities an individual eats, so the individual may not neccesarily be reducing their calorie intake... Which wouldn't work out very well if someone wanted to purely lose weight.

Though I have to disagree about junk foods. There is quite a lot of foods that are just purely junk in terms of nutritional value.

Keep up the good work gynosucks1.  :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 01:14:33 PM by IlluminaZero »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024