Author Topic: Do I Need a Bra?  (Read 3869 times)

DW20

Side set
I do not wish to go in to any detail it really would be non contributory but I  have no real problem with the current post by BRUCEC on this thread.
For clarity, my comments referred to a post that has now been removed either by a moderator or by Bruce himself.
I think it would be kinder to just leave it at that.

Offline BruceC

• Posting Member
Getting back to what I surmise is the original intent of the inquiry, has anyone here heard of the pencil test ?

CoffeeAndCake

Yes. Apparently if you can put a pencil under the inframmory fold in your breasts then you need a bra if the pencil doesn’t stay put then you don’t. 

Offline BruceC

• Posting Member
Right Coffeeandcake,

I know it's been around for quite a while I vaguely remember hearing about it before, some time ago. I think Ann Landers first came up with it. what do you think, it that a reasonable test allowing that personal comfort has to be the ultimate test?

DW20

According to this stupid test I don't need a bra, so I presumably throw mine away, ignore  my GP's diagnosis and  advice and go back to sore nipples and breast jiggle that is so uncomfortable when just walking up and down stairs at home  let alone when jogging, running for a bus or hopping over stiles and dry stone walls when out hiking.
Why do we have doctors when all we need is to drop a pencil on the floor and go on suffering.
For info the options offered by my very outspoken doctor :
1. The stupid - messing around  with powerful hormones.
2. Stupid & expensive - Surgery (I understand some with much larger appendages than mine may choose this)
Or 3. Use an item of clothing (bra) that had been extensively test driven by many women for many years.
Also note that my wife takes the same size bra but the pencil stays in place! This shows  to me the nonsense of this idea. It probably only proves that my thoracic musculature is in better shape than hers and lifts the breast to a higher natural resting place.
For me, experience and my doctors medically proven diagnosis and the success of following his "treatment" in alleviating symptoms says away with this quackery
Perhaps have a look at the chest profiles on the surgical part of this site. 

Offline BruceC

• Posting Member

Hey DW20,

I'm sure there are lots of reasons for wearing a bra, your point is well taken, bra wearing has certainly been a huge relief for you. It's a very personal choice after all, that's why I ended my comment with " allowing that personal comfort has to be the ultimate test ".

DW20

Your point is agreed. However I merely wanted to debunk the pencil test in case anyone should use it to conclude that they did not need a bra and suffer needlessly.
Whilst for many on here  gynecomastia is a by product of aging we all need to remember that a not insignificant minority are struggling with this in their early teens and we owe it to them to give real information and personal experience not oldwives' tales that do nothing to help. 

Offline JohannK

• Silver Member
And then there are those of us (in this case I'd say a very close to insignificant minority) who end up with breasts in between (early/mid 20's for me).

As for the pencil test, that by its very nature assumes sagging has occurred.  Personally I don't have any sagging at all, I don't even have a fold (at this point)...

aboywithgirls

I started wearing a bra when I was 12 or 13 and I needed a bra. I didn't have a fold then either. It wasn't until I was 16 that I had developed an IMF. I also started wearing an underwire bra. Ive worn underwire bra for over 30 years now.

CoffeeAndCake

I agree it is a very flawed theory and test. Many breasts are very different from shape size volume shallow or not, self supported or not. There are women with D cups who’s stick straight out and women with a cups who’s fold over like man boobs and can easily hold a pencil. Is the tissue dense or primarily fat is it firm or not is there strong muscle underneath or not. So the idea is fine and makes sense but the theory when in practice and viewing all factors is so flawed it’s odd that it’s still viewed as a logical test. 

So I hate the pencil idea cause my boobs are self supporting so far and unless I strongly sit and hunch over it won’t hold. Even though my volume and shape fill and is coming close to spilling out of my b cup bras l. I wear a pull over bra most days cause the movement is not terrible and bounce is subtle and jiggle is only if I’m running or sitting and moving. When standing they have taken on an obvious shape of breasts and from the side can see prominent projection and while I doubt others notice in my fitted shirts I I don’t want to add attn with a molded underwire so I stick with the pullover bras. 

Bras are for comfort and confidence and if a bra gives you comfort of your breasts and confidence of them not moving around then forget the pencil and remember a bra.

Offline blad

I suggest the comfort test; if it feels better wearing a bra then you should wear a bra.
If the bra fits, wear it.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024