Author Topic: 29 and I'm ready to do this  (Read 5666 times)

Offline irish29

Hi, I'm 29 years old and I've been dealing with the puffy nipples for most of my life. I've always wanted to have this surgically corrected but could never afford it. Now I'm to the point where I'm willing to consider getting a loan and making payments, which shouldn't be too difficult because I have excellent credit. Just today I made the decision and already I feel a little better.

I live in the Los Angeles area and I've come to understand that this is one of the most expensive places in the world to have this procedure done. I will figure it out, whatever it takes, but I want to make sure I have the best possible doctor handling this for me. I want to have the lumps taken out and the nipples reduced in size if possible.

I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice on screening doctors or possibly some referrals in my area. I'm also willing to travel if it's cost effective but my operating budget outside of the procedure itself will be limited.

I've included a pic below. I know its not the most extreme case but I have a hard time looking at it. Thank you so much in advance to all who reply and a big thank you to the people who host this very useful website.

~P

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Hi, irish, and welcome to gyne.org.

The main criteria for choosing a doctor is to use a plastic surgeon (not a general surgeon) who has a wealth of experience at gyne surgery.  In fact, some PS's specialize in this surgery and that is the type of doctor you should aim to find, IMO.  The more experience they have, the better.  Ask to see lots of before and after pictures of their patients, and if you like what you see, go for it. This site has a link to find doctors in your area, and several well known gynecomastia doctors participate on this site.  Being from CA, you should have no problem at all finding a great surgeon.

Looks like you mainly have puffy nipples with only mild tissue growth.  I think gyne surgery would make you a happy man.  And as far as reducing the size of your nipples, the surgery WILL do that. I think you're a success story waiting to happen.

Good luck.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:24:33 PM by Raider Fan »

Offline combatwombat

• Posting Member
hmm, u've got got gyne similiar to mine, but mine might be a bit worse.  If u dont mind, could you let us know how much you pay for the operation?

Offline dwl

• Posting Member
Take a trip up to sf and see Dr Delgado.  Lots of good feedback on the board and I just had him do mine.   pm me if you have any questions. 

Good luck. 

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center

You should have no trouble finding qualified plastic surgeons in your area.  Here are two who post regularly on this site, along with a couple of links to their posts, so you can see their results.
Good luck-

Dr. Pope, MD

Dr. Vishal Kapoor in Beverly Hills:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18902.0
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18901.0

Dr. Dr. Cruise in Newport Beach:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=18299.0
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=19882.0
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline junyea

• Posting Member
Irish,

I am 28, and looking to get this done. I have a similar situation like yours. I hope you find a good surgeon, as I will use your leads to find my surgeon.

In 2009 I went to two consultations. The one I felt most comfortable with was Dr. Grover http://www.drgrover.com/index.htm. The surgery was for $6000. I didn't go through with it for financial reasons. I am ready to do it now, but I would like to see some results from someone.

Please post pics of your results, if you go through with it. I'm sure it will help alot of other gents on the forum.

Offline irish29

Just an update for you all-

I spoke with Dr. Delgado today. The before and after photos on his website are very impressive compared to the others I've seen which is what promted me to call him right away. He seems like a very compotent doctor.

I recieved my quote via email shortly thereafter and honestly, it was way WAY more than I anticipated... about $8000 to cover the procedure, room, anesthesia, follow up visits and 2 custom compression vests. This quote does not include lab work or prescriptions. Also, I apparently need an overnight caretaker and I have no idea what that costs. When you factor in everything- airfare, 5 days in a hotel, supplies etc.. I suppose I can reasonably anticipate spending 9-10k on this?

My impression was that my gynecomastia is only moderate and  I would be on the lower end of the cost scale. Obviously I don't really know what I'm talking about and I don't want to sound disrespectful or ignorant, but seeing as how this is going to put me into debt for a long, long time, I have to ask, does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks,
Irish

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
Sounds high to me, but if he does great quality work, who's to say it's not worth it? 

I've always thought average costs were around $4k to $6k.  So $8k sounds on the high side, especially when it doesn't even include everything.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Irish,

Prices for plastic surgery procedures vary around the country, and the areas with higher cost of living are more than likely going to reflect higher prices for goods and services, including plastic surgery.  In Florida for example, plastic surgery fees are typically higher in Miami and south FL than in Orlando or areas north of here.

It might be good to check on fees in other areas of your state or in nearby states, provide you find an experiences, qualified plastic surgeon.  When you factor in the airfare and hotel expenses, you could possibly save money going elsewhere for surgery.  The only obvious problem with that is the follow-up.  If you have a complication, you're looking at the cost of flying back for management of that.  But many guys with gyne do travel for their surgery.  Maybe some of the guys here who did can share their experience with you.

Dr. Pope, MD

Offline alphajc

• Posting Member
8000 is a bit high but Dr. Delgado is known to be one of the most expensive gynecomastia surgeons in the country.  That being said, he clearly is also among the most popular so that says a lot about his work.  You would be able to find other renowned surgeons who would quote in the 4500-6500 range if cost is a concern.

Offline snowleopard

so I've been reading for a while. I am also 29 and pretty much in the same situation... but I finally decided that I need to take action.
interesting that I am also in the LA area and found about Dr Delgado recently. the results on the page are pretty impressive. it looks it's a bit costly but it seems that I have only one chance to get it right... anyone had a surgery there can provide some feedback about results/treament/costs ?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024