Author Topic: Mr S - Mr Levick 29th July 2015  (Read 13965 times)

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
Thanks Charlie. Just don't want anything to go wrong especially if a crater should develop but you're right, it's early days. Sleeping all through on your back is really difficult. Can't wait to get into the macom shirts. How are you guys faring? Is the binder off yet and are you pleased with progress?

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Yes sleeping on your back is a bitch , it took me a couple of nights to get used to it. I sent my 640 vest back and received the Macom longer vest yesterday. I've moved the binder round a bit so the double fold isn't on the fluid. It seems tighter where it's single if you know what I mean? I'm going to switch to the vest today and just use the binder on top at night times.

Offline Haz6191

Hi Guys
I've been a long time lurker on this forum for a while now. News of Mr. Levick's retirement expedited my decision to have surgery before he retired. After all the glowing reviews on this forum he was the only person I wanted to perform the procedure. A huge thank you to all those who contributed on this forum, it really has been a guiding light. I had my consultation with Mr. Levick last month and am due in for surgery on 20/08. During my consultation I explicitly asked him about sleeping positions post-surgery and much to my surprise he said it was not necessary to sleep ONLY on your back and even reiterated that he certainly couldn't do it. Felt that was worth mentioning. 

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
Hey Haz, congrats on your decision. It will be well worth it. Just had mine two days ago. You will find however that sleeping on your back is probably the only practical way to sleep post surgery. Any other position is pretty much uncomfortable for me. Good luck and try to be calm. I was very nervous but it all goes ok

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
How's the recovery Mr S?

Offline Mr S

• Posting Member
Haz - Good to hear you are going through with it, best of luck mate.
ggnail - Hang in there mate, first few days are the most difficult. But once the first week goes, movement and recovery should get better.

Offline Mr S

• Posting Member
Charlie - It’s going good mate, I think the secret to a good recovery is stay off garlic, tomatoes as instructed as well as ensure maximum compression for as long as possible. Felt good to finally have a proper shower, although even after a few days since hitting the 7 day mark, I'm keeping the shower water 'cool' to avoid any hot water hitting my chest and causing any fluid to appear.

I ordered the compression vests from Macom (both sleeved and sleeveless). I found the sleeveless vests to be the most comfortable despite the fact that they dig into armpits slightly. Chest feels very strange when touching it bare skin, feels like its numb but all part of the process. No fluid build-up but I'm constantly sitting with the compression vest and then binder on top of that when in the house. When leaving the house, I just wear the compression vest alone. At night when sleeping, I just stick to the binder and very tightly wrapped (as tight as possible) around my chest. Sleeping on my back is no problem, as I trained myself several weeks in advance! Still taking the Arnica regularly, not taken any painkillers yet but chest still hurts when driving over speed bumps.

How’s your recovery going?

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
I'm Just taking it day by day really, I popped into work this morning for couple of hours just to do a bit of paperwork ready for my first day back on Monday.
I 'm wearing the vest during the day and doubling up at night time . Still very numb with the odd tingle , I suppose this is normal after an operation like this. I still have some fluid on the R/H along with an indentation, doesn't look the best at the moment but it was quite a large gland on that side.
Maybe I'm expecting too much too soon ?

Offline ggnail

• Posting Member
Hi guys, I opened my binder this morning which is 3.5days post op. I was surprised. The Right side had more gland and has bit of fluid but all still looked ok. In my rush not to leave it too exposed I didn't take a picture and just tightened as much as I could. I'm so pleased all seems to be going ok. Cant wait to switch to vests though. Charlie is the fluid buildup bad?

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
Hows it goin guys? I just had surgery last thursday 08/06/15 but with different doctor. I got it done under local anesthesia and he left drains located below armpit areas. I went to my first post op appointment the day after and the nurse told me that she'll leave the drains for 6 days to prevent seroma. I was against having these drains at first but it's actually very helpful to prevent accumulation of fluid and seroma. Today is my 2nd day post op and this morning i took norco 5/325mg 1 tab 'coz i was having discomfort with range of motion. It actually helped me to ease pain and made me comfortable doing light activities. My chest looks flat with no more cone shape which i like but my tummt became very prominent that i look pregnant. Lol. Btw i also took shower on my 2nd post op day. Just quick questions guys. When did you guys start taking a shower and did you guys ever ask dr levick to use drains to prevent swelling?.. 

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Hi guys, I opened my binder this morning which is 3.5days post op. I was surprised. The Right side had more gland and has bit of fluid but all still looked ok. In my rush not to leave it too exposed I didn't take a picture and just tightened as much as I could. I'm so pleased all seems to be going ok. Cant wait to switch to vests though. Charlie is the fluid buildup bad?

Hi mate, I'm not sure it's that bad that I have to be concerned just yet. I'm doubling up at night with the vest/binder combo. I have a small crater on that side but I'm hoping it will sort itself out. I'm going to keep the binder on most of today whilst at home. The mrs keeps telling me not to worry so early on :) miss doing jobs around the house and garden, hard when your normally an active person ha.
Bruising wise I'm ok, definitely more so on the side that was the largest.

Thinking back, I'm sure my vest should of been tighter on the first couple of days.
I was pretty sore and I don't think I could of physically done it!

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Hows it goin guys? I just had surgery last thursday 08/06/15 but with different doctor. I got it done under local anesthesia and he left drains located below armpit areas. I went to my first post op appointment the day after and the nurse told me that she'll leave the drains for 6 days to prevent seroma. I was against having these drains at first but it's actually very helpful to prevent accumulation of fluid and seroma. Today is my 2nd day post op and this morning i took norco 5/325mg 1 tab 'coz i was having discomfort with range of motion. It actually helped me to ease pain and made me comfortable doing light activities. My chest looks flat with no more cone shape which i like but my tummt became very prominent that i look pregnant. Lol. Btw i also took shower on my 2nd post op day. Just quick questions guys. When did you guys start taking a shower and did you guys ever ask dr levick to use drains to prevent swelling?..
Hi mate,
I never mentioned drains, I don't think Dr Levick uses this method? I get you on the pregnant look, the binder makes my tummy stick out! The vest looks fine on but I'm back to wearing the binder at night.

I had a shower on day 8, I kept the force of the water on my back to be honest. I was just filling the sink up and washing out of that for a week :) good luck with your recovery mate.

Offline xoxoxoxo

• Gold Member
Showered at day 8? I cant even imagine not having a shower for a week. Day 2 post op i actually felt very sticky and uncomfortable thats why i showered lol. Im excited how my chest gonna look like 3 months post op. For now, ill be patient and rest. How did you survive not having shower throughout those days man? 

Offline jay-dub

• Posting Member
I had my surgery on 29 July so it's now 11 days post op.

I have to say that the general healing is really quick (so bruising basically completely gone and no pain whatsoever).

I am wearing just the Macom compression vest and occasionally wacking the binder on at night. However, I don't feel any fluid build up at all or even a hint of it.

I think the long term healing is the shape and so the aesthetic of the chest and this is what you need to be patient with. My chest looks great but is very flat. I think long term it gets a bit more shape and this will be the case when I can work out again as well.

Do you guys find that when you take off the vest or binder it looks flat and a touch odd but after being in the shower for a bit it kinda relaxes and the chest looks a bit better?

Anyway good to hear you guys are healing up ok. I have to say that I am already really happy even having to wear this bloody vest. Going out and wearing nice t shirts and tight jumpers feels really good and not long until this can be done without the vest. Exciting times ahead for us all I hope.

What I will say re. the vest is I am wearing a tight t shirt underneath. This means it doesn't dig in and I actually find fairly comfortable compared to the binder. I know compression is important but for me I think the vest is doing the job (I hope).
Anyway will post some pics in the next couple of days.

Offline Charlie33

• Bronze Member
Showered at day 8? I cant even imagine not having a shower for a week. Day 2 post op i actually felt very sticky and uncomfortable thats why i showered lol. Im excited how my chest gonna look like 3 months post op. For now, ill be patient and rest. How did you survive not having shower throughout those days man?

The mrs washed my hair every other day with the shower and I washed every where from the sink :) 1, I'm not a sweaty guy, never have been 2, I was that sore for the first 3 days I didn't move and 3, 1 week without a shower won't hurt after putting up with 15 years of grief!

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024