Author Topic: Risk of Death  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Jacobi

• Posting Member
It seems odd that in less than 24 hours, I will have the operation done, and I am terribly anxious. I was elated to book the procedure, to know that the end of my condition was in sight, but now, I'm dreading it.

I don't know exactly what the question I'm posing is here. I suppose I just want some notion of how safe I'll be. I was told the risks and studied them myself, but frankly, I'd be happy just to wake up from the op.

Perhaps I'll pose the rather morbid query that I have hesitated to submit for fear of giving life to the fears that are wreaking havoc with my head - Has anyone ever died from the gynecomastia surgery?

This is something I never really considered due to the non-invasive nature of the procedure relative to other surgeries that would seem to render it comparatively safe, so it never occurred to me that my very life would be at stake.

I'm 23, no health complications, not overweight and physically fit; on paper it sounds like I have nothing to worry about. Yet I can't stop thinking about that moment where I'll face the anaesthesia, where I'll black out of consciousness. What then?

I have thought about calling it off. They have my money, but so pressing are my fears that I face difficulty in thinking about tomorrow morning.

Then there is the profound regret I know I'll face by not going through with it. I know that I'll hate myself for allowing such irrational thoughts hold sway over me. I can not, WILL not permit it.

Yet here I am, paranoid and deeply afraid.

Forgive me for my angst. I needed to release this tension in some way. Realistically, I know that I'll be doing the surgery. I just want to wake up, have the drains and be on my way home. I'll be thankful to God and everyone involved in keeping me safe.

Soon, it will be behind me and I'll have what I've wanted for years. Just this last hurdle before getting on with my life.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Understand your anxiety -- and the more you dwell on it, the more concerned you will be.

Just put things into perspective.  You are 23 and healthy.  The surgery basically just goes under the skin -- not into the chest or abdominal cavities.  The anesthetic, in the hands of a capable anesthesiologist, will put you to sleep very quickly and safely.

The chance of death in this situation is virtually if not zero.

Relax and look forward to the beginning of a new phase of your life!

And best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Jacobi

• Posting Member
Thank you, Dr. Jacobs. Your comments really helped me with my anxiety. And you were certainly correct in your remarks, since I'm currently back home typing this now.

It was very kind of you to respond to my hysterical rant. Your post came just in time.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024