Author Topic: scar tissue and kenalog  (Read 4853 times)

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
My main question here is basically does anyone have a flat or relatively flat chest after surgery but have a lump of scar tissue that might drive them nut. I am wondering cause my chest looks "ok" but I have a nice lump which doesn't show but a pinch, play with and message all the time cause it drives me nuts. Wondering if anyone has anything similar and if this feeling ever goes away. I had kenalog on both side of my chest about 2 weeks ago also, so I haven't seen full results but I know some of this lump will remain, it doesn't seem to have done down at all.

also my PS seems to be getting annoyed that I keep coming back cause my chest is not bad but this lump among other things bugs me, can I go anywhere else for kenalog shots? (should also ask should I message or not message at this point after getting kenalog, I know it can take over a month to see full results so)

Offline azndan

• Posting Member
I'm past 5 months and mine seems to be more evident than ever since the swelling has gone down. now it looks like I have a mini version of my original gynecomastia.
My doctor said he doesn't recommend kenalog but I'm going in for a follow up and I'm going to ask if he'll do it anyway if I pay for it. Yes I've heard the horror stories but I've also heard how SUCCESSFUL it really is. He also told me massage can irritate the scars and prolong them. I've seen like 2 doctors say that, while all the other well known doctors say massage and kenalog are okay. The thing is, your doctor like mine probably sees no problems in our chest. But we're the ones that see it everyday and KNOW when something doesn't look right. I don't know what to do either.

Offline cowboy100

• Posting Member
Yes I have seen a few doctors and their number one fault always is they assume. The assume that the way they are seeing my chest is how it always is which is not the case and they assume that I see my chest the way the see it. I am probably far more judgmental of my own chest but I live with it everyday and I am the one who suffered years of embarrassment which makes me basically look for flaws.

I had my second dose of Kenalog and it helps a tiny bit but does really nothing for pointiness. My problem now is my chest is always pointy when not relaxed which makes it hard to wear a t-shirt (especially white), it points out more then the average persons does and the areola (area around the nipple) sicks out a little too because it is attached to the nipple and I believe because some of it didn't reattach to my muscle underneath after surgery so when it is no relax blood fills under some areas.

My solution now is ether to have my nipples cut right down to next to nothing (which I am very does to doing) so that they will be hard often but will not stick out so much OORRR to have my chest botoxed 3-4 times a year which I am looking into costing for so that its always relaxed and flat. I would love to just fix this problem of sensitivity but my chest seems to be forever sensitive which is to bad because my DOC did a good job when looking at my relaxed chest.   

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Kenalog can be useful for an area of scar tissue.  But it has to be injected carefully by an expert who is conversant with the injection process, dosages, etc.  If too much is injected or if it is done too close to the surface, you can run into problems that cannot be corrected.  On the other hand, when it does work, it is a quick and relatively easy fix for the problem.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
I had my surgery in march 2010 and nipple still puffy. i also had kenalog shots this week September 15,2010 for the scar.  My doctor suggested revision but i asked for kenalog instead. my question to any one going thur the same thing is that How long will the kenlog take effect???. its been 3 days since i got the shots and right now i notice the scared tissue are harder than before. more like a rock. 

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
It is difficult to second guess any one particular situation.  For example, if you nipple continued to be puffy after surgery, then perhaps there is residual gland present (which would not respond to kenalog) and not scar tissue.  Only your surgeon would be able to tell you this.

When kenalog is injected, it usually begins to soften the tissues within a week to ten days -- and its effects continue to work for about 4-6 weeks.  If, after 6-8 weeks, you see an effect but it is not what you want, then you may consider additional treatments.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:56:49 AM by Dr. Elliot Jacobs »

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
Additional treatments? do you mean another shot or revision. my initial surgery was lipo only. now my surgeon said he will have to do excision thru the nipple if the kenalog does not work? will the surgery create more scars?

• Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Again, difficult to comment specifically on your case.  However, in general, lipo alone often does not treat the problem completely -- ie excision is often needed.  If your surgeon only did lipo, then I suspect that there may be some gland present -- and that WILL NOT respond to kenalog.  Indeed, excision may in fact be necessary.

Dr Jacobs

Offline kaka

• Posting Member
Thank you for your response. looking forward to the excision and getting rid of the problem!.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024