Author Topic: Tips for getting the swelling down:  (Read 4567 times)

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
I'm sure alot of you are like me - quite swollen on either the left or right chest. Personally I'm 12 days post-op.

Anyways.

Here's some tips for getting the swelling down that I've picked up on this site and elsewhere, and I was just thinking that "hey, this might help some people", and also "hey, maybe someone else has some usefull tips!". So guys, if you got any good tips for getting the swelling down quicker (besides pointing to Mother Nature), please contribute.

- Try consuming antioxidants
- Try consuming vitamins
- Gently massage the surrounding area with aloe vera lotion.

Anything else?

DrBermant

I'm sure alot of you are like me - quite swollen on either the left or right chest. Personally I'm 12 days post-op.

Anyways.

Here's some tips for getting the swelling down that I've picked up on this site and elsewhere, and I was just thinking that "hey, this might help some people", and also "hey, maybe someone else has some usefull tips!". So guys, if you got any good tips for getting the swelling down quicker (besides pointing to Mother Nature), please contribute.

- Try consuming vitamins

Anything else?

Actually, swelling is the response of the body to injury. The best way to have less swelling is prevention, prevention, prevention. Once the swelling is there, stop further injuring the healing tissues so they can heal.  Massaging too early can be a form of trauma and cause further swelling.

For my patients' Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery, the surgical technique is the most important factor. It continues with After Gynecomastia Surgery Compression Garments that are fitted before the operation and used to stabilize tissues minimizing further injury, preventing further injury and helping the small amount of swelling there resolve faster. Preventing complications such as Hematoma After Gynecomastia Surgery is also critical by avoiding medications and over the counter substances that increase the chance of such problems.

I do not recommend either the additional vitamins nor the antioxidants for my patients either.

Once the swelling is there, and the surgeon's system for after care does not involve compression, then you are kind of stuck with nature and letting healing take its course. That is why surgeon selection and checking how that doctor's patients evolve after surgery is so critical for preventing such swelling. Before changing anything a surgeon has designed as part of after surgery care, you should check with your surgeon.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
- Try consuming vitamins

Neither vitamins nor anti-oxidants will be of much good.  And swelling at this point is a natural reaction of your tissue to surgery.  Massage at this point may only make the swelling worse by contributing to inflammation, etc.

Best treatment for swelling is to wear a snug compression garment 24/7 and to sit back and be patient.  Everyone naturally wants to look great the day after surgery -- Mother Nature, though, is not so fast.  It will take months for your final shape to be appreciated.

Be patient!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline WolfParade

• Posting Member
Massage at this point may only make the swelling worse by contributing to inflammation, etc.

What's inflammation? Oh and by the way, the massage part was practically a quote from my surgeon, when I called him up about 12 days post op. He told me to massage gently, but not too hard. Difficult for me to understand really, how much is too hard?  ??? Anyways, he told me it was for moving the skin around or something, making the blood .. no i dont remember, but it was supposed to help..
The antioxidant part though I just found from other users at this site (damn you, users!).

It will take months for your final shape to be appreciated.

How many months? :P I'm asking because I had the surgery done in the middle of february and reeeaaally want to look good especially in may (in Norway 18 yr olds have something called "Russefeiring" at that time, which means we can practically skip school and just drink a lot of beer and party a lot).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 02:06:41 PM by WolfParade »

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Usually, it takes 4-6 months for full healing to occur (and sometimes longer!).

RE massage:  I never have my patients massage until at least 6-8 weeks or so after surgery.  And then it is a firm pressure with skin lubrication -- but not too hard that it  hurts.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024