Author Topic: what is actually causing the nipple to puff out ?  (Read 3690 times)

Offline whatsgoingonpuffy

• Posting Member
Hey everyone just looking to find out the the actual cause of the nipple to puff out as it baffles me.
I'll try to keep this short as possible as some of my background might give a better idea.
I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma with secondary hypogonadism and secondary adrenal insufficiency... thankfully all my hormones are good according to recent lab tests my adrenals function well on their own without hydrocortisone and my testosterone levels are good only my tumor needs to be treated longterm as it continues to grow when taken off cabergoline. ( I have never seen lab results just going on what the doctors tell me when we meet)
Okay my puffy nipples ( mainly left ) I believe I do have minor gyno as I can feel some substance further back just infront of my muscles when I pinch however the that actual gland/fat whatever it is is not under my nipple and it is the puffy nipple that gets me down.
when the nipple is pushed in there is nothing behind it, it feels like a balloon filled with air... if it tape the nipple down flat my chest actually looks good so again the gland further back doesn't really make my chest look crap more so the nipple that puffs out.
Another thing I've noticed is it varies in severity, sometimes looks like a crayon, other times it can look pretty good esp after a hard lifting weights session for a few hours or if I dehydrate myself... ( I believe water retention plays a small part also) or right after I eat something ( makes me believe hormonal fluctuations also).
I am not intending on surgery as it is not majorly severe and can be hidden by tight fitted t shirts with logos on them... however a basic t shirt is hit and miss depending on its severity.
So what is the cause of the puffy nipple ? there is not a thing behind it... does the gland attract more estrogen to this area causing the nipple to puff out ? does it attract water more than a chest without gland? or is just an anomaly.

Thanks  

Offline Mike12345

• Posting Member
Hey everyone just looking to find out the the actual cause of the nipple to puff out as it baffles me.
I'll try to keep this short as possible as some of my background might give a better idea.
I was diagnosed with a prolactinoma with secondary hypogonadism and secondary adrenal insufficiency... thankfully all my hormones are good according to recent lab tests my adrenals function well on their own without hydrocortisone and my testosterone levels are good only my tumor needs to be treated longterm as it continues to grow when taken off cabergoline. ( I have never seen lab results just going on what the doctors tell me when we meet)
Okay my puffy nipples ( mainly left ) I believe I do have minor gyno as I can feel some substance further back just infront of my muscles when I pinch however the that actual gland/fat whatever it is is not under my nipple and it is the puffy nipple that gets me down.
when the nipple is pushed in there is nothing behind it, it feels like a balloon filled with air... if it tape the nipple down flat my chest actually looks good so again the gland further back doesn't really make my chest look crap more so the nipple that puffs out.
Another thing I've noticed is it varies in severity, sometimes looks like a crayon, other times it can look pretty good esp after a hard lifting weights session for a few hours or if I dehydrate myself... ( I believe water retention plays a small part also) or right after I eat something ( makes me believe hormonal fluctuations also).
I am not intending on surgery as it is not majorly severe and can be hidden by tight fitted t shirts with logos on them... however a basic t shirt is hit and miss depending on its severity.
So what is the cause of the puffy nipple ? there is not a thing behind it... does the gland attract more estrogen to this area causing the nipple to puff out ? does it attract water more than a chest without gland? or is just an anomaly.

Thanks  

I have the exact same issue as you. I know I have gland and understand that excision is the only way to remove it, but ABOVE the gland, it's very clearly either excess skin or fatty tissue as it's extremely soft. You can push in with your finger a good 1/2cm and feel nothing at all until it hits the gland.

Like yourself, I really would be happy with taking the edge off it as I've built my upper chest around my small glands so it's almost undetectable.

Someone I'm speaking with at the moment is claiming that bodyjet lipo can help reduce it a little to the point where I'm happy but wants a consultation fee to be double sure. I'm always a bit weary..

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
As I previously replied, puffy nipples are only caused by gland which is concentrated directly under the areola.  It may feel soft but it is definitely there -- puffy nipples are not caused by fat under the areola.  You can diagnose a puffy nipple simply by lying down and looking at your chest.  If the areolas stand out above the surrounding skin, then you have puffy nipples.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024