Author Topic: Strine  (Read 434 times)

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Went out for dinner and said “Eye level arch play devoisters, emma chisit?” before going to the dunny only to find that car nope nit! Slokt! Gunga Din! Didn’t stay long, went back to my terror souse which is a nigh soame with egg nishner, but then it hit me – yerron yerrone. Warm-eye gonadoo? Iker nardly liver air chew anymore! Yuma snow-eye Nietzsche laugh! Phoney wicked beer loan!

Things were better in the days of sly drools. Now, tea natures wouldn’t know, but aorta. Maybe that’s just sag rapes though. 

--------------

First non-Aussie to translate this, including the title, wins...my congratulations! ;D   

Offline Justagirl💃

• When life gives you curves, Flaunt them! 🤗
😲😬🤔 I'm completely lost on this one!
When life gives you curves,
flaunt them! 💃
💋Birdie💋

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
hehehe, I knew you'd bite! ;D I was a bit merry at the time, and feeling mischievous. ;)

I'll reveal all in a couple of days. In the meantime, anyone else want to give it a go? Would Afferbeck Lauder help? :o

Offline WPW717

• Silver Member
Nope,
No help
Regards, Bob

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
No eyed ear, hey? ;D

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
Say 'Australian' real quick in a twangy, commoner sort of way and it sounds like 'Strine.' It was the title of a hilarious book which invents new/old words to describe the not-the-queens-English pronunciations of the Australian version of the language. It's author went by the pen name of Afferbeck Lauder (alphabetical order...get it?) Without further ado...

Went out for dinner and said “Eye level arch play devoisters, emma chisit? I'll have a large plate of oysters, how much is it?” before going to the dunny [slang for toilet] only to find that car nope nit! Slokt! Gunga Din! I can't open it! It's locked! Can't get in! Didn’t stay long, went back to my terror souse terrace house which is a nigh soame nice home with egg nishner air conditioner, but then it hit me – yerron yerrone you're on your own. Warm-eye gonadoo What am I going to do? Iker nardly liver air chew I can hardly live without you anymore! Yuma snow-eye Nietzsche laugh You must know I need your love! Phoney wicked beer loan If only we could be alone!

Things were better in the days of sly drools slide rules. Now, tea natures teenagers wouldn’t know, but aorta they ought to. Maybe that’s just sag rapes sour grapes though.

No eyed ear is no idea, obviously. ;)

Strine (virtualteacher.com.au)

;D

Offline Justagirl💃

Quite the stretch away from the Queen's English! Or should we say King's English now I suppose. 🤔

Although I have attentively listened to Aussie whilst working remotely in Melbourne (via Zoom meetings), I must admit that I have not, nor will I ever master that accent. 😲

I struggle enough with 'Texan', and I have been here most of my life. Locals know rather quickly that I'm not from here. 

Thanks for sharing, it's quite intriguing. 😉

Offline taxmapper

Sounds like the Oz version of Spanglish. 

(dont ask.) 

Offline Evolver

• Gold Member
I know of Spanglish, etc. 

One more from me about strine. Here's a famous Pommy version:
The Two Ronnies - Four Candles - YouTube

Offline Justagirl💃

I know of Spanglish, etc.

One more from me about strine. Here's a famous Pommy version:
The Two Ronnies - Four Candles - YouTube
Quite entertaining!