Author Topic: Any luck with Blue Cross paying?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member
If you saw my previous post you know that I'm considering gynecomastia surgery.  I've seen some people talk about a partial payment from insurance for the surgery.  I was wondering if anyone had any luck with this with Blue Cross - Blue Shield? 

It'd be great if they paid for the surgery at my surgeon of choice, but if they pitch in a couple thousand it sure would help!!!

Back ground info:  I'm 6'3" 240 lbs.  I have lost down to 180 in the past, looked emaciated, but still had prominent breast tissue.  I've had larger than normal breasts for as long as I can remember.  I remember being hasselled about it as early as 2nd grade.  I was quite a bit overweight as a child, but even after significant weight loss (around age 15) the breast tissue stayed the same. 

Anybody have anything to contribute??

Offline PSC0002

• Bronze Member

Offline captklenk

• Posting Member
 Ahha. YES! Anthem Blue Cross covered my surgery. It was a long process getting approval. I had to go to several doctors, submit photos and write letters. The gynecomastia must cause PAIN and consist of GLANDULAR tissue, no just fat. Excision only and no lipo was my approved procedure.  I had a good surgeon in Dr. Andrew Goldberg of INOVA.

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Most insurance plans are purchased on the basis of cost. Obviously the lower cost policies have more exclusions.

Whether or not you would be covered depends upon many factors not least of which is a blanket exclusion of any cosmetic procedures.

Even if your particular policy will cover the cost of surgery, it may be dificult to get approval as noted in the above response.

Sometimes it is necessary to present evidence that the condition is causing severe psychological and/or emotional problems. In this case, a sympathetic Psychologist can be a great asset.

Good Luck!
Grandpa Dan

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024