Author Topic: Question for Dr. Bermant  (Read 4246 times)

Offline dbugmom

• Posting Member
Thank you for your reply Doctor to my previous post (Anyone familiar with using Femara to treat gynecomastia).   ???I am really struggling with how you know when the time is right for surgery.  I mean, he's had it for 2 1/2 + years, we suspect there are no pathological causes (waiting for results to come back), and he wants to get rid of it.  His pediatrician said he has matured and is done going through puberty.  If there are no pathological causes, shouldn't it be gone? From what I have read, if someone has had it for approximately 3 years or more, chances are it isn't going to go away without surgery.  Can you comment on this?

DrBermant

Thank you for your reply Doctor to my previous post (Anyone familiar with using Femara to treat gynecomastia).   ???I am really struggling with how you know when the time is right for surgery.  I mean, he's had it for 2 1/2 + years, we suspect there are no pathological causes (waiting for results to come back), and he wants to get rid of it.  His pediatrician said he has matured and is done going through puberty.  If there are no pathological causes, shouldn't it be gone? From what I have read, if someone has had it for approximately 3 years or more, chances are it isn't going to go away without surgery.  Can you comment on this?

You are welcome.  I have replied in both places.

Male or female, breast tissue is breast tissue.  Breast tissue grows during stimulation. Remove that stimulation and there can be some decrease. With pregnancy, breast tissues grow under stimulation.  After removing that stimulation, they can shrink. However, many women have larger breasts after pregnancy.  Others return to the before pregnancy size. It is the same with Teenagers with Gynecomastia. Remove the stimulation and many return to a flat normal chest. Others shrink a little, but a significant contour deformity remains.

What has not resolved after 2 years, typically will not.

Options may include:

Determining the right time for surgery is best explored during a consultation where the specifics can be better defined and the education of risks, benefits, and alternative methods of care discussed. We see many patients from around the world who prefer my techniques and the time we take in patient / parent education.  To minimize travel, many start with our Preliminary Remote Discussion. If interested in learning more, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024