Author Topic: 36 hours until surgery  (Read 2021 times)

Offline philomath

Well, fellas, I've visited this site regularly for several years now and I have learned a lot from many of you. Thanks. Now, finally on Wednesday morning at 9:00 a.m., my moobs are scheduled for departure. They have been a source of embarrassment for longer than many of you are old. After much research, I have tried to temper my expectations knowing that at age 60 things won't be as good as if I had done this at 20 (not that it was readily available then) or even at 40. Still, any moderate improvement will be welcomed.

To demonstrate an internal level of commitment to my health (as well as a nod toward vanity), I have lost 40 lbs. since January 1st and am feeling quite svelte, save for those man boobs. Increased activity and reduced intake really are a winning, slimming combination. (Oh, and as an aside, switching foods and exercise routines every few weeks worked great for me!)

Nonetheless, along with my excitement, I feel a bit of trepidation about the upcoming surgery as well as some guilt regarding what some would deem a frivolous procedure- especially at my age. But on balance, the positives outweigh the negatives and shirtless days on the boat or beach seem to occupy a larger swath of my daydreams lately.

I got all the party lines from my surgeon who said I was a good, but not great, candidate. I'll buy that. Swelling and bruising were to be expected, but each person heals at their own rate. I'll buy that, too. Six weeks in a compression vest, although he felt that Underworks garments (I've  used them for years) might be worn after a couple of weeks, depending on my recovery. I have bought sports ice packs and placed extra pillows on the bed as they recommend sleeping with your head above your heart for several days following surgery. I have "fat" clothes from the weight loss so loose-fitting attire won't be hard to find. I filled my prescriptions- antiobiotics that they start 2 days before surgery through 10 days after;  Vicodin for pain is a must for 24 hours.  I was told the bandages can be removed the day after surgery- preferably in the shower. 

Thanks again for all the encouragement and support I received here, although you didn't know you provided it. I'll let you know how it goes and perhaps send along some "Before & After" pics.

Offline Ibanez99

• Bronze Member
Hey philo , I totally understand what you mean and it's a great decision you took and it's never too late :)
MY surgery is scheduled  in 2 weeks too. Good luck for your results!
Sid

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024