Author Topic: 'Donut' Skin Removal (mastoplexy) and Permanent Suture  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Tonytony

• Posting Member
Hi everyone,

So I have my surgery on the 1st of March which will involve some skin removal, lipo and glandular removal. As there will be skin removal, my surgeon is using a method known as a ‘donut’ skin removal.

It involves cutting a 'donut' of skin from around the nipple, and then bringing the other skin forward and stitching it with gor-tex suture which will be there permanently.

While he has done this successfully dozens times and the scarring is minimal, I am a little daunted by the fact that I will have the stitching under my skin for life. What if it breaks at some point 20 years down the line or through someone pushing my chest or too much exertion? How tough are they exactly?

Doc seemed really relaxed and confident about it but I could do with some reassurance. I saw a photo of a previous patient’s chest and he looked pretty amazing considering the amount of skin and fat that was removed. As I don’t have a particularly hairy chest he said that the chances of infection are around 1% which seems like pretty good odds to me.

I have done some research online and this is not a totally common way of doing things but I was just wondering if anyone here has gone through this type of surgery or knows anything more about it. I asked the doc why this is not particularly common for male gynecomastia and he said that some surgeons do not simply have the skill. It sounded arrogant but in this case arrogance and confidence is probably a good thing to have from a surgeon.

Many thanks for any help or advice 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:22:20 PM by Tonytony »

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024