Author Topic: 3 weeks post op concerns RE: swelling, hardness, puffiness...  (Read 1222 times)

Offline jhick2

Should I be concerned with some increased swelling at 3 weeks post op?
I am at day 20 - Lipo and glandular excision. Left side has been worse (more swelling and bruising) since day one, although it was the right side that had more glandular tissue. I still have a lot of bruising on the left side, as well as a small amount on my right. Some areas are tender, others are not. I did not have drains. I have been wearing my compression vest 24/7, with the exception of showering. Around day 11 I had some spotting at both incision sites, but mostly on my left, after sleeping on my sides one night, however, after 6 days of spotting, mostly left side, usually just when getting out of the shower, I believe my incisions have sealed.

I have a couple concerns.

1.  For the first 2.5 weeks both nipples were back to looking flat and smaller. For the past few days though my left side is getting puffier and can be seen even under my compression garment.  Maybe this is because my incisions sealed and there is now fluid building up, or perhaps for the reason stated below?

2. There are a lot of rock hard spots in my chest. Some of it was present from the first time I removed the bandages- it was mostly along the outside edges were the foam was placed. So a square of hard tissue surrounding it. I assumed it was swelling. However, on my left side, that hardness has now covered the area within that "square" and I believe this is causing my left nipple to protrude, as stated above, because even under the nipple is very hard. How do I know if this is swelling vs. Scar tissue? Will this rock hard tissue subside or will it turn into scar tissue?

Thank you, in advance, for any responses.

Offline Dr. Schuster

• Supporting Doctors
    • www.CosmeticSurgeryBaltimore.com
Itis normal to have swelling and hard areas while you heal. For the first six weeks the lumps can be felt but not necessarily seen. During the second six weeks the lumps and hard areas usually smooth out. I recommend massage but check in with your own surgeon. Be patient.
Dr. Schuster
Chief, Division of Plastic Surgery Northwest Hospital
Private practice in Baltimore, Maryland
10807 Falls Road
Lutherville, Maryland 21093
410-902-9800
email: info@drschuster.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Your recovery to date seems fairly standard. The are always as I call them lumps and bumps in the postoperative period.As has been said it takes some time for these issues to resolve.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Based on your description of bruising and swelling, it's possible that you had a small amount of bleeding after the surgery, and this can result in slower resolution of some of the lumps and swelling.  Presuming that there are no significant collections--something your surgeon would be able to assess--time, compression and massage will help with the healing process, but as noted, you should speak with your surgeon about anything you do to manage the healing process.
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024