Author Topic: Appointment to see PS - what to expect?  (Read 2064 times)

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
The wheels of the NHS grind shakily on, after my last unencouraging visit to the endo where she said I had no hormone trouble and had little hope of getting surgery on the NHS and that if i did it probably wouldnt be very good, I have recieved out of the blue a PS appointment for December.

Dont know where this came from, my GP, the Endo after my test results came back, the NHS waiting list fairy; in any case just getting an appoitment doesnt mean youve been approved funding right?

Also, what kind of things should I ask him, after the things the endo told me and some of the things i read here i am chary of nhs surgery and had almost decidedm on going private - now i have the appointment it would be silly not to go though.

Any help as always, much appreciated.

Offline Worrier

• Gold Member
When I vistied an Nhs Ps she examined my chest and felt too see whether it was fat or Gland or both. It was very quick I was only in there about ten minutes or so. I was also weighed. There was a huge queue of people and she said she was seeing two people at once.
I asked her about puffy nipples a common thing with gyne and she did not know what I was on about.

I did not have much time to ask many questions she kind of talked at me. Explained about scarring, a recurring theme whenever a see a doctor about this. Said about the risks Ie complications from anaethetic etc. Explained that as I had fat in mine as well as a bit of gland she would just do the lipo first and  the other op at a later date if I was not happy.
         I was then told that athough she would do the op I have to be approved by health authority so yes the PS needs to say they are happy to do it and the heath authority needs to give approval as well.They have to apply for funding and this can take time,
         I would ask how long all this will take and be clear what needs to be done.They will ask you penty of questions about your heath as well.
           Now you have the appointment I would go and see what they have to say.

Offline Yorkshireman

• Silver Member
I hd surgery in march 05 privately, I did visit my NHS gp before this, and he was a waste of time. I knew more about gyne than he did, and just didnt seem to know what to suggest. In hindsight, I really wish I had never gone to him, as its now permanantly on my medical records, yet there was (for me) no benefit at all in going to see him.

I guess its a tough call if you have no option but to try NHS, but if somehow you can pay privtely, go down this route...

Offline ruggedtoast

• Silver Member
Hmm, thanks guys, I had wondered about the medical record thing. If I had to say i was suicidal or something then I wouldnt go through with it because I dont want THAT on my record, but was hoping just having the consult wouldnt look too bad.

I was looking at having it done abroad for about 2500 and my gf is ok with that, but i cant really turn down the appointment in case i could get it done for nothing.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024