Author Topic: Question for the docs about what is actually under puffy nipples  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
Inspecting myself, there is a hard, donut-like mass surrounding each areola in the shape of a ring, but directly under each nipple (puffy, by the way) it is soft.

What is this softness directly under the areola, and what is the hardened donut-like mass surrounding each areola?

I've watched videos of surgeries on youtube, and I heard no mention of any ring of hardened mass around the areola.  It sounded like the gland is soft, and directly under the areola.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:00:53 PM by Wayne1985 »

DrBermant

Inspecting myself, there is a hard, donut-like mass surrounding each areola in the shape of a ring, but directly under each nipple (puffy, by the way) it is soft.

What is this softness directly under the areola, and what is the hardened donut-like mass surrounding each areola?

I've watched videos of surgeries on youtube, and I heard no mention of any ring of hardened mass around the areola.  It sounded like the gland is soft, and directly under the areola.

Thank you.

"Puffy Nipples" can be a problem behind the areola that can take many forms.  The deformity is usually a varying combination of fat and gland.  The gland can be firm or soft, spread through fat, or be a condensed mass.  There is a thin muscle under the areola skin that can flatten tissue when stimulated. Warmth tends to relax this muscle.  Unfortunately it is impractical to keep stimulating these muscles.

Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia usually has a significant gland component that will not go away with weight loss.  Check out this Drawing of the Anatomy of Puffy Nipples and move your cursor over the different parts of the image to see the different components of this problem.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia

Offline Wayne1985

• Silver Member
That is interesting.  Thanks, Dr. B.  I had no idea it was a muscle that made the nipple temporarily look normal.  Now, only if we could get that damn thing to constantly stay tense! ;D

What about the hardened mass?  Do normal guys have any hardened mass under there, or is this just an extension of the gland?

DrBermant

That is interesting.  Thanks, Dr. B.  I had no idea it was a muscle that made the nipple temporarily look normal.  Now, only if we could get that damn thing to constantly stay tense! ;D

What about the hardened mass?  Do normal guys have any hardened mass under there, or is this just an extension of the gland?

There is some firm tissue normally under the areola as shown in the drawings in my prior post.  Gland tends to be firm and fat soft.  However, I also have found firm fat and soft gland.  Scars also start out firm.  A hardened mass can be a concern, especially if it is a new finding not related to trauma or surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline mrpower33

• Silver Member
Most guys DO NOT have puffy nipples.  Trust me, I've looked.  I think most of the people here with puffy nipples would agree. 

DrBermant

Gynecomastia is a deformity of the male chest and like cleft lip comes in varying degrees.  Puffy Nipple Gynecomastia is a subtle form and a lay term for the condition.  Doctors can use medspeak and obscure their discussion or better help the public with terms with which patients are more comfortable.  Your argument is something like a bilateral cleft lip complaining that a unilateral patient's problem is not really a deformity or a one sided cleft lip complaining that a microform cleft lip is not really a deformity. 

I work with many  Bodybuilders with gynecomastia.  For many of them, a subtle female breast really deforms their male contour causing a great deal of embarrassment. 

There men such as Klinefelter's Syndrome Gynecomastia with no concern for their contour.  However, the teenager with gynecomastia is often confused with his chest contour that looks like the early breasts of female teenagers is often very concerned why his chest does not look male.  Understanding the problem and being patient while nature takes its course has helped many have told me over the years.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024