Author Topic: Regarding compression garments after surgery  (Read 7448 times)

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
I consulted a plastic surgeon recently for surgery for gynecomastia. I was really surprised when he told me I would need to wear a compression belt after surgery. Because I have heard about only compression vests.
When I asked for more details about that, he told me it's just an abdominal belt. I feel it will be noticeable and compression vest will be an better option. Also he told me I would wear the belt immediately after the surgery.
Guys, could u pls tell me whether compression belt is a good option and whether it is generally suggested by surgeons?
Also can I go for compression vest even though doctor is suggesting compression belt?

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I think the vest is much more commonly used.   I also think, having been through the surgery, the vest provides better compression on the upper chest than a belt would.  That's just my opinion, though.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member
Belt/vest: both do basically the same job.  I was given a belt after my surgery because thats what was available.  However, a vest is obviously a far better option.  The belt has a tendancy to slip down - especially during the night!

Offline Mr_Nip

The belt has a tendancy to slip down - especially during the night!

The vest rolls up during the night.  That's a P.I.T.A.  >:(

Offline elderkid

• Posting Member

Offline Mr_Nip

DrBermant

I consulted a plastic surgeon recently for surgery for gynecomastia. I was really surprised when he told me I would need to wear a compression belt after surgery. Because I have heard about only compression vests.
When I asked for more details about that, he told me it's just an abdominal belt. I feel it will be noticeable and compression vest will be an better option. Also he told me I would wear the belt immediately after the surgery.
Guys, could u pls tell me whether compression belt is a good option and whether it is generally suggested by surgeons?
Also can I go for compression vest even though doctor is suggesting compression belt?

Each surgeon has his/her own techniques.  Results on my website are typical using my techniques which includes the use of a garment that I fit for each patient before surgery.  I prefer to use a compression vest after gynecomastia surgery for many reasons explained on that link.  I use first stage compression, to protect tissues.  Second stage protection is for scars.  This specific Adjustable Compression Vest is much better than a belt, ace wrap, or other methods that I have evaluated over the years.  It does tend to ride up for some men, depending on their belly / chest shape.  There are Male Chest Compression Garments that do not ride up, but they are not as comfortable as the vest alone.  These garments also help my patients who are having both chest, abdominal, and love handle sculpture in one operation.

I also use  compression for my Tumescent Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty surgery.  Surgical technique is a major factor in Tummy Tucks.

Scars that heal under pressure are often much softer than scars without scar therapy or pressure.  I prefer to individualize the scar care and compression needs for each of my patients.  Such issues are better discussed with your doctor.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Chest Sculpture

Offline tony_ss

• Silver Member
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your clarifications. One more question regarding belt, vest:
If I wear it under shirt, would they be noticeable?
Also which one is more noticeable?
Also is it required to wear a compression vest or belt one month after surgery?
Could I buy a vest online myself? or is it always custom-made?

Thanks,
Tony.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024