Author Topic: Touching puffy nipples makes it worse?  (Read 8874 times)

Offline kdot93

Just a question, Im a late blooming 20 year old male and I have a very mild case of puffy nipples. I believe it is in my genetics to carry fat in my chest just as my dad and brother does, and as I am slowly going through puberty the problem is reducing.My left nipple has little to no puffiness, but my right nipple slightly sticks out and is more puffy. It feels as if my right areola is slightly more loose and there is always tiny cracks on it. I am constantly playing/touching my right nipple just to try and reduce the puffiness. So my question is, is the constant touching making the problem worse or it just a case of unsymmetrical nipples/chest. If it is caused by touching/playing, is the protrusion and puffiness of the areola temporary or permanent? If i stop touching my right nipple will the slight protrusion of the areola reduce over time? I read something about prolactin induced puffy nipples, does this have to do with it?

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Some men have very sensitive nipples. There is no connection between this and Gynecmastia. There is likewise no connection established between nipple stimulation and Gynecomastia.
Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Puffy nipples are due the presence of breast tissue directly beneath the areola -- not fat.  It doesn't matter what it feels like -- it is breast tissue.

There is a small muscle just under the skin of the areola.  When the areola/nipple is stimulated (by touch, emotion, cold environment), the muscle contracts the areolar skin (which causes the tiny ridges in the areola) and the areola flattens -- it looks better.  The breast tissue was actually pushed down into the breast.  Unfortunately, when the muscle relaxes, the puffiness returns.  There is no permanent treatment for puffy nipples other than surgery.

There is no way, also, to stop the changes of the areola (from tight to relaxed)-- this is a normal physiological process.  Surgery does not affect it.

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024