Author Topic: US News and Reports articles  (Read 5440 times)

Offline merle

• Gold Member
  • Author, Psychotherapist, Consultant
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
Demystifying Gynecomastia: Men with Breasts
The first book on Gynecomastia

My newest book: Facing the Truth of Your Life is very relevant to members of this forum. It could save you a lot of unnecessary pain and time.

Book books are available on Amazon. FTTOYL is also available through your local bookstore or on Audible or iTunes.

Offline Mr_Nip

• Had expensive surgery... Now I'm flat busted!
I liked what you said about educating coaches, teachers, etc. 

Great articles.
MR. NIP

I come from nowhere
And you should go there.
Just try it for a while.
The people from nowhere always smile.  -  Frank Zappa

Offline Mr_Nip

I know I'm going to open up a can of worms by saying this, but for the procedure to be justified as medical there would have to be a set of criteria for that classification.  What I mean is that less severe cases should not be considered medical, IMHO.  There are some of you guys who get surgery for cases that I just don't see, and I support your right to feel better about your chest, but I don't support the idea of insurance premiums (or taxes, depending on where you live) going up in order to improve somebody's chest that already looks better than 80% of the ones I see on the beach.  That being said, there are some of you guys who have severe cases that do indeed make you look bad even under thick clothing, and it's you guys who's insurance should be paying for surgery.  The problem is deciding where to draw the lines, and so far the insurance companies are mostly keeping all cases classified "cosmetic" unless pain is involved.  I don't believe that will change anytime soon without a legislative ruling, which is unlikely.

Offline Mr_Nip

Sorry about my above rant about insurance.  This thread is supposed to be about the great articles in which Merle once again is helping to put gynecomastia in the mainstream of thinking.  Thanks Merle.

Offline merle

• Gold Member
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I do what I can.

Thanks,

Merle

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
Very good articles, however there are a few points that I do not agree...

U.S.News...

"I have heard that some men intentionally gain weight to avoid the embarrassment of their breasts."

Merle...

"That would be a very silly thing to do. Gynecomastia really is not a disease. It doesn't make sense to take something that is a benign process and risk developing type 2 diabetes, heart problems, eye problems, joint problems, etc."

GB....

Think about it Merle... as you know, some guys contemplate suicide as a result of their gynecomastia. Do you really think that they are concerned about joint problems, diabetes, etc... later on in life as a result of obesity in an effort to hide their gynecomastia?
What is first and formost on their minds? Getting rid of/hiding the deformity anyway they can....

'Silly'?, Not!   IMHO....

----------------------------

U.S.News...

"Should the surgery be covered by insurance?"

Merle...

"No. It's usually not covered by insurance because it is considered cosmetic. The costs of healthcare are so high I would rather see those same dollars go towards better immunization of children, better prenatal care of women rather than going to cosmetic surgery."

GB....

I agree with Maywest here.

Gynecomastia may be cosmetic, but is a cause of intense psychological stress.

Be realistic here Merle, as a psychotherapist and a former gynecomastic sufferer, you know that the psychological issues surrounding Gynecomastia goes far beyond the casual 'Cosmetic' Botox procedure. We are not talking about 'Vanity' issues here my friend. The mental health of young boys fighting for their sexual identity comes nowhere close to being labled as 'Vain'.

I am shocked/miffed  :-\  to hear you say that Gynecomastia is 'Not' a insurance issue...

GB
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 08:03:21 PM by Grandpa Bambu »
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline merle

• Gold Member
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
The things that you have pointed out were not said by me. The articles were a mix of me and a plastic surgeon. It all got mixed together. You can't tell where one is and the other. It is like we are talking with one voice.

As for the weight. I get reports all the time that guys deliberately gain weight to hide the gynecomastia. As for the insurance, I wish it did cover, especially for the young boys and a young men.

Merle

Offline Grandpa Bambu

The things that you have pointed out were not said by me.

So sorry dude... my apologies  :-[.

The way the article was written, it sounded like all the responses were yours...

GB

Offline merle

• Gold Member
    • Merle James Yost, LMFT
I understand. IT was completely unclear. If I had not been the interviewee at least one of them I would have had no idea.

Merle

Offline Grandpa Bambu

Geeze Merle, yeah, me bad! In the first article they interviewed Glenn Braunstein, an Endocrinologist.

GB

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024