Author Topic: Gland Question  (Read 2830 times)

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
Before I begin I would like to say I am a long time viewer of this site and I appreciate all the information it provides. Dealing with gynecomastia as a young male can be difficult and awkward at the least.. I have found that this site can be a great tool to help cope with those emotions...

My question is this...

I am currently 24 years old. I first noticed symptoms of gynecomastia 3 years ago. I played football in college at the Division I level and can honestly say I never experimented with Anabolic Steroids (despite the stereotype). I did however, take many supplements that you could buy legally from such vendors as GNC and Vitamin Shoppe (not that they couldn't contain harmful prohormones or other ingredients) however I never noticed any gyno related symptoms until I was prescribed the anti depression/anxiety medicine called Effexor XR.

I'm not hear to point fingers at the medication (I'll save that for another thread) as my gyno symptoms could have been the result from lifestyle changes due to the premature end of my athletic career (personal reasons). Once I stopped playing football I went from a lifestyle of high physical fitness and smart dieting to less activity and an increase in drinking alcohol.

Regardless....

here is my question....

For the last three years I have had a gland under both nipples (bilateral) the left gland is slightly bigger then the right but nothing out of the norm. The glands started intitally slightly smaller then a pea and over the last three years have progressed to probally the size of half a tennis ball (if you were to cut a tennis ball in half and put one hemisphere under each nipple).

So...

Is it normal for the glands to continue to be painful even after they showed up three years ago? And is it normal for them to continue to grow in size, even if it's minimal? I don't notice the growth on a week to week or even a month to month basis but overtime I can defiantly tell that they are still growing.

Does anyone know is their is an explanation for this? And should I be considered for my health?

Thanks for all that contribute. I greatly appreciate it!

DrBermant

Before I begin I would like to say I am a long time viewer of this site and I appreciate all the information it provides. Dealing with gynecomastia as a young male can be difficult and awkward at the least.. I have found that this site can be a great tool to help cope with those emotions...

My question is this...

I am currently 24 years old. I first noticed symptoms of gynecomastia 3 years ago. I played football in college at the Division I level and can honestly say I never experimented with Anabolic Steroids (despite the stereotype). I did however, take many supplements that you could buy legally from such vendors as GNC and Vitamin Shoppe (not that they couldn't contain harmful prohormones or other ingredients) however I never noticed any gyno related symptoms until I was prescribed the anti depression/anxiety medicine called Effexor XR.

I'm not hear to point fingers at the medication (I'll save that for another thread) as my gyno symptoms could have been the result from lifestyle changes due to the premature end of my athletic career (personal reasons). Once I stopped playing football I went from a lifestyle of high physical fitness and smart dieting to less activity and an increase in drinking alcohol.

Regardless....

here is my question....

For the last three years I have had a gland under both nipples (bilateral) the left gland is slightly bigger then the right but nothing out of the norm. The glands started intitally slightly smaller then a pea and over the last three years have progressed to probally the size of half a tennis ball (if you were to cut a tennis ball in half and put one hemisphere under each nipple).

So...

Is it normal for the glands to continue to be painful even after they showed up three years ago? And is it normal for them to continue to grow in size, even if it's minimal? I don't notice the growth on a week to week or even a month to month basis but overtime I can defiantly tell that they are still growing.

Does anyone know is their is an explanation for this? And should I be considered for my health?

Thanks for all that contribute. I greatly appreciate it!
Pain is one of the Symptoms of Gynecomastia gland stimulation.  Glands subject to hormonal stimulation can be sore, tender, and even painful in both men and women.  Such issues are better stabilized before considering surgery to minimize recurrence.  An endocrinologist specializes in evaluation of endocrine disorders and would be who I would have evaluate one of my patients with painful breasts.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Surgery

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
Thank you very much Dr. Bermant! Your input is highly appreciate and obviously respected!

My question is this.... how long should the pain (tenderness) of the gland and its growth be expected to continue?! For as long as their is a hormonal imbalance? For Life? Until the gland is the size of basketball and causes other health complications?

What is considered "normal" and what would be cause for concern?

Sorry to bombard you with all this!

DrBermant

Thank you very much Dr. Bermant! Your input is highly appreciate and obviously respected!

My question is this.... how long should the pain (tenderness) of the gland and its growth be expected to continue?! For as long as their is a hormonal imbalance? For Life? Until the gland is the size of basketball and causes other health complications?

What is considered "normal" and what would be cause for concern?

Sorry to bombard you with all this!

I have seen patients with variable lengths of time for symptoms to cease after an endocrine problem.  Some have had discomfort and growth for years before medical treatment stabilized their condition.  Such questions are best directed towards an endocrinologist.  Growing painful breasts despite stopping a medication are a great indication for such an evaluation.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

Offline Grandpa Bambu

• 31 Year Gynecomastia Victim...
I am currently 24 years old. I first noticed symptoms of gynecomastia 3 years ago.

That would put you at 21.

I'm only 23 years old but I've had gyno since I was 17/18.

?? ?? ??

GB
Surgery: February 16, 2005. - Toronto, Ontario Canada.
Surgeon: Dr. John Craig Fielding   M.D.   F.R.C.S. (C) (416.766.8890)
Pre-Op/Post-Op Pics

Offline blueturtle80085

• Posting Member
gynecomastia.org's very own detective!

I am 24 y/o. No B.S. I turned 24 this February. I was 23 in August when I made that last post. That is also correct.

I did not experience my first symptoms of Gyno until I was in college.. so it could not have been when I was 17/18. I'm not sure why I would have stated that....

It could have been when I was 19 turning 20.. or 20 turning 21... I am unsure and frankly that's a little irrelevant to the questions being asked. It's all a blur to me to be honest. It took me almost a year of denial to admit that I had a problem, and looking back, I'd give anything to change the size of my glands today, to what they were at that time many years ago.

I am sure however, that at the time I first noticed symptoms, unless I am an EXTREMELY late bloomer, I cannot blame my symptoms on puberty, although I did notice some tenderness in my glands when I was first going through puberty many many years ago.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024