Author Topic: New Surgery Technique + Pics, Canadian living in Taipei, Taiwan - Op this Friday  (Read 3518 times)

Offline piedlourde

Before I launch into it, I would like to thank each and every poster on gynecomastia.org for infusing me with the courage to proceed.

33 year old male here who is scheduled for surgery this Friday.

Growing up in Quebec, I was built like a normal boy (tall for my age and lean) until I hit puberty. There was soreness and tenderness, and Gyne looked totally obvious to my peers in the locker room and at pool parties - no one ever said anything, but wondering what they thought about my chest drove me up the wall.

As others have said, they were probably not even thinking about it - but that's not why this condition is a problem for me. It was a question of self-esteem and fitting in.

So, I learned to stoop over to minimize the protrusions, which probably ended up losing me more women than the gyne itself - because when you stoop over, you are sending out signals that you don't like yourself, you aren't proud to be you.

Flash forward twenty years. I am an expat living in Taipei, Taiwan, a warm country with long, hot summers and plenty of opportunities to be outdoors with friends - hiking and running are two passions of mine. I would desperately like to join my friends on a biking trip - but they all wear Tour-de-France style singlets that you almost have to peel off after a ride... I would be exposed.

Same problem for swimming, running on the beach, dancing in tight clothes...anything where they are out there and/or bouncing around drives me insane.

This has led to years of feeling sorry for myself, and making the people around me pay for my own social ineptitude. I commonly isolate myself during the summer and watch my friends' Facebook albums fill up with pictures taken at pool parties and beach raves. I only really go out when a sweater over a tee looks normal. And then it's only a dark color or a wild pattern to mask my shape.

I found a doctor in Taipei named Lawrence Tu who has pioneered a new technique for correcting gyne. The following link is to a really interesting article in the Journal of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery that he and his team authored. The highlights of his technique and lots of photos included.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/04302043172u427v/fulltext.pdf

He doesn't use drains and states in his documentation that they aren't necessary because he does his utmost not to cause excessive trauma to surrounding tissues. Sound kosher to you guys?

Anyhow I am going under the cannula this Friday and I already have my vests, support team (YOU fine people!) and videogames in place.. and my ultimate goal is to attend the last beach party of Summer 2010 shirtless and proud.

Thanks again for being here.. .

Offline piedlourde

Here is an update for those of you who are interested.

I went in for surgery at MacKay Hospital, Taipei yesterday @ 1pm. The doctor was extremely nice and explained the whole procedure to me once again before they put me under. I was so happy to be finally getting this done that I waltzed into the OR, smiling and saying hello to everyone.

Before I knew it I was waking up in a recovery room, girlfriend in sight with an energy drink for me. I was in moderate pain and was given a fast acting painkiller orally. Needless to say, I barely made it to my nearby hotel before passing the f out.

I woke up 11 hours later feeling about the same. I am going in later this morning to have some swelling looked at - this doctor doesnt use drains at all. I am pretty happy about that because I've heard that's the most painful part of this whole ordeal.

Pics soon!

Piedlourde

Offline jetpilot

• Posting Member

Offline nonini

• Silver Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024