Author Topic: Changing bra sizes to help underwire fit?  (Read 2106 times)

Blacksmith96

Hello all. I had measured myself with a 38 inch undercutting and a 41-42 inch chest, which would put me at a 38b unless I've got something wrong. Anyway I had gotten some 38b tee shirt bras, and it just seemed the underwire came up on the outsides too soon. Like the cups weren't wide enough. But the 38 inch band fit great, and I was just filling the b cups so I didn't want to buy a 38c and I couldnt find 40a locally to try,  so I bought a 36c. Fitting rooms are closed so I bring it home and try it on. Lo and behold, the band fits the same as my 38's, my breasts fill the c cups just as well as the b's on my 38bs, and the underwire is further back. My new favorite bra!!! 

Anyway, I had head of moving up a band size and down a cup size, but I haven't heard of moving down a band and up a cup. Is it normal to do stuff like this to get a bra that feels oh so good?

Offline SideSet

You just did sister sizing! 

How do you feel about being a C cup? 

Blacksmith96

Honestly I was really surprised when I filled a c cup but strangely proud too haha. It definitely shapes the breasts different though, they stick out a lot more with my 36c than they did with the 38b, but the 36c is so much more comfortable... crazy

Offline SideSet

I am not surprised by the effect on your breasts or attitude.   I have said, the first time I put on a bra was the first time I felt good about my breasts.  Have you tried a 38 C ?

Blacksmith96

I have not tried a 38c, but like I said, I fill 38b cups comfortably and could squeeze a little more in if I had to so I'm thinking 38c would be too big. I would actually pull fat from my armpit into the 38b cup to help pull the underwire back and that would fill the cup nicely and eliminate the underwire issue but only until my movements pulled the skin/fat in front of my armpits out of the cup. If fitting rooms were open, I might try a 38c but I have a feeling there would just be too much room in the cup and the girls would move willy nilly. Maybe this weekend, I'm sure the bigger stores have open fitting rooms now

Offline Goodnplenty

• Bronze Member
Something to keep in mind about underwires and bras in general is that even though they might say that they're the same size, let's say 38c.  The same size from two different companies will fit completely different.  I've found that the underwires also have different arcs even though they are the same size.  Most men have wide root breasts and there are bra companies that cater to that, that's why most of the guys here recommend bras from a small group of companies.  My preference is Wacoal, the arc of the underwires most closely matches the curve of my breasts and I can fill the cups with no puckering or gaps.

Offline jan1north

• Posting Member
I’ve had two professional fittings this summer:  Bras Galore (Chicago, IL) and Busted Bras (Ann Arbor, MI) each measuring me 40C. Through 2 dozen or so bras tried on, I found Wacoal to be the most consistent in size and underwire placement and likely to be purchased. Simon Perele also good possibility but expensive!  Chantelle was always tight in 40.

BTW experience at both shops was first class:  attentive, helpful, accommodating. Occasionally I would hear an endearing remark “Oh that one looks cute!” from the fitter but figured it was part of the banter designed to relax the usual female customer.  I usually tell the SA that fit and comfort are important - not size or material - which is an opening to try new styles, etc. and not necessarily eliminate what could be considered as very feminine (sheer, lace, etc.).  After all, what couldn’t be more feminine than a bra?

Offline SideSet

Those last two posts were spot on!

Blacksmith96

I understand about different brands fitting different, but these were the same brand. Thats what really kind shocked me. I'm going to be getting some better quality bras in the near future to try and find the best fit for some good quality bras to stock up on. 

Offline Rich meier

• Gold Member
I understand about different brands fitting different, but these were the same brand. Thats what really kind shocked me. I'm going to be getting some better quality bras in the near future to try and find the best fit for some good quality bras to stock up on.
I had the same problem , same brand , same size ,different styles pullover is ok, strapless is a little tighter

Busted (and happy)

The lady who fitted me said that measuring as for women did not work for men.
I was reasonably happy with the bra I was wearing but she said that for the brand she represented  she found  men needed 2-4" smaller band size than actually measured.
Her rule of thumb was 4" off the actual under boob measurement, and then+1 cup size for every 2" extra round the boobs (using band size rather than actual under boob chest measurement as the baseline.)
She confirmed that I had measured correctly at 38" band size and the cups fitted.
She went out got some 34 and 36. The 34 with sister sizing up the cups ( =+2 cup sizes) and I was sorted.
As  the band should be doing most of the support I immediately felt more secure. I am perfectly comfortable wearing from 7am -10pm. 
The band does leave a bit of a mark but I was told to expect that. If it didn't  it was going to slip and offer no real support.
Sister sizing has many benefits

Sticking to this stores brand and the sizing I can buy at will off the rack. They always fit comfortably - some are returned but purely for style)

Offline Johndoe1

Same size bra in the same manufacturer but different styles will fit differently as well. That's why it's important to get a fitting and try on product. Guessing never works.
Womanhood is not defined by breasts, and breasts are not indicative of womanhood. - Melissa Fabello

Blacksmith96

The lady who fitted me said that measuring as for women did not work for men.
I was reasonably happy with the bra I was wearing but she said that for the brand she represented  she found  men needed 2-4" smaller band size than actually measured.
Her rule of thumb was 4" off the actual under boob measurement, and then+1 cup size for every 2" extra round the boobs (using band size rather than actual under boob chest measurement as the baseline.)
She confirmed that I had measured correctly at 38" band size and the cups fitted.
She went out got some 34 and 36. The 34 with sister sizing up the cups ( =+2 cup sizes) and I was sorted.
As  the band should be doing most of the support I immediately felt more secure. I am perfectly comfortable wearing from 7am -10pm.
The band does leave a bit of a mark but I was told to expect that. If it didn't  it was going to slip and offer no real support.
Sister sizing has many benefits

Sticking to this stores brand and the sizing I can buy at will off the rack. They always fit comfortably - some are returned but purely for style)
I can't wait to actually get fitted this weekend. Based on what you have said, I may even pick up a 34d and see how it fits. The 36 I have though does provide good underbust support. 

Blacksmith96

So much good advice. Thanks everyone!

Orb

That is interesting.  I have never had a formal fitting.  Lack of courage?  Perhaps.
What I have found, through trial and error, was that after a few gentle washes the fabric relaxes a bit.  Comes to its natural state and is better suited to mold to my shape.  That being said I have noticed changing cup size and band size does allow for a better fit.  Smaller band, yet very comfortable, and larger cup.  Underwires sit better, in both T shirt and lace bras.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024