Author Topic: What did you guys tell people?  (Read 3987 times)

Offline jayhawkmd

• Posting Member
hey all,
Looking for advice. I had surgery just two days ago in NYC with Dr. Jacobs. I flew in from out of town so far, have been able to keep the trip and the surgery a complete secret form everyone in my life except my parents. While only 2 days post-op, I'm very optimistic about my results, but now that I am home I am worrying about what I will tell people, should they A) see the binder I'm wearing thru my shirt or B) ask me about my change in appearance.
To date, I've been highly sensitive about the whole topic, and would like to skirt the truth if at all possible. Any suggestions, stories or advice? Thanks!

Offline tenncast

• Silver Member
i told everyone that i  had a boob job....they would say no you didn't....the I would show them the binder....then i would just tell them that i had some fat rearranged to make my pecs look better...that way you are not talking about getting rid of female like breast...

I found it was just not a big deal....now that i am a year post op i still sometimes tell people that i had plastic surgery...no bid deal..ask if they want to see the scars...

Offline nuttynuts

• Posting Member
dude
just say
"oh, i had female breast tissue developing, i had a sever case of hormonal in-balance"

that usually shuts ppl up, then ul see they ask questions about "OH ARE U OKAY? gime a hug" and ur like

"no.. no.. dont touch me, im sore."

;D  1 week post op now.. im loving it

Offline jackanonymous

• Bronze Member
dude
just say
"oh, i had female breast tissue developing, i had a sever case of hormonal in-balance"

that usually shuts ppl up, then ul see they ask questions about "OH ARE U OKAY? gime a hug" and ur like

"no.. no.. dont touch me, im sore."

;D  1 week post op now.. im loving it

NO do NOT do that rofl

Offline MSJ108

good question. No one has asked any questions yet. I wear two t-shirts so you can't see the vest when I wear it.

I have seen others on the board tell others they had "tumors removed from chest"

Offline nuttynuts

• Posting Member
hehehe =p

in all seriousness

ive been saying ive strained my back lifting something a little heavy so im wearing the compression garmet for support and it explains why im a little stiff and stuff (im sorta obsessed with isolating my chest muscles as much as possible.. and giving it all a chance to heal as good as possible)

ppl buy it  :-\

Offline The_G0rn

• Gold Member
I didnt tell anyone I had the op. Its a secret. 
Only the doctor & nurses know  ;D

I did have to make up some stories to avoid physical activities in the first month or so after surgery...e.g. i broke a rib, i fell over and bruised my chest etc etc.
Surgery done 18th March 2008

Offline jayhawkmd

• Posting Member

I did have to make up some stories to avoid physical activities in the first month or so after surgery...e.g. i broke a rib, i fell over and bruised my chest etc etc.

Agreed. The only people who know are my surgeon, parents and ex-girlfriend. I like the hormone and tumor answers, but the 'problem' is that I'm a medical student and so are most of my good friends. They certainly won't buy those answers at face value. I've decided to just not say anything, and if it comes up somehow, I'll tell them I broke a rib playing at the pool.  We'll see how that one works out :) Thanks for all the replies.

p.s. 5 days post-op and I am ITCHY!!!! all over my chest--when I take the binder off to shower I sit there and scratch for minutes! Anyone else experience that??

Offline MSJ108

Agreed. The only people who know are my surgeon, parents and ex-girlfriend. I like the hormone and tumor answers, but the 'problem' is that I'm a medical student and so are most of my good friends. They certainly won't buy those answers at face value. I've decided to just not say anything, and if it comes up somehow, I'll tell them I broke a rib playing at the pool.  We'll see how that one works out :) Thanks for all the replies.

p.s. 5 days post-op and I am ITCHY!!!! all over my chest--when I take the binder off to shower I sit there and scratch for minutes! Anyone else experience that??

no not at all. you got rashes?

Offline jayhawkmd

• Posting Member

Offline xdude24

• Posting Member
just tell them you had some congenital mass removed.

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
Jayhawk,

If most of your good friends are medical students like yourself, don't you think they would show some empathy (not sympathy) and understand your situation?  I don't see it as a big deal in your case, and I've had the surgery too (so I can empathize).   ;)

Dr. Pope, M.D.
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024