Author Topic: Gyno or fat?  (Read 5271 times)

Offline cocopops

• Posting Member
Hey,

I have lost about 125 lb's over the last 18 months. I put it on as a teenager and i always thought my manboobs was just fat but since losing a lot of weight i still have them.

Obviously i still have 30 or so pounds to lose but i really don't see much changing in the chest area when nothing has really changed the last 125lb's.

This is really effecting my life in every way, lack of confidence, i'm constantly self-conscious in public and i haven't taken my top off in public in 10 years.

I am also finding it hard to find motivation to lose more weight when i still have these damn moobs.

What do you think? Is it gyne or fat?

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 05:43:26 PM by cocopops »

Offline thetodd

congrats on the weightloss

Yeah i mean its probally gyne/fat. But your never going to get rid of them without surgery you need that excess skin removing. I think its called a mannoplasty? someone will post exactly what it is but yeah your going to need surgery man, which probally seems like a scary idea. But seriously once you have it its life changing and it really isnt as bad as you think (costs though but worth it). No amount of exercise is going to get rid of your moobs unfortunately

good luck!
Surgery With Alex Karidis - 16/05/09 - Completed!
http://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=17738.0

Offline cocopops

• Posting Member
congrats on the weightloss

Yeah i mean its probally gyne/fat. But your never going to get rid of them without surgery you need that excess skin removing. I think its called a mannoplasty? someone will post exactly what it is but yeah your going to need surgery man, which probally seems like a scary idea. But seriously once you have it its life changing and it really isnt as bad as you think (costs though but worth it). No amount of exercise is going to get rid of your moobs unfortunately

good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I really want to have surgery, just tryin to work up the nerve to go see the Doc hehe.

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
First off, congrats on the weight loss. 

Does it feel like there is solid tissue in them or do they feel like just saggy skin?  Either way, it looks like surgery is probably gonna be the solution.  Hopefully one of the physicians that posts on this site will offer an opinion, but I'm thinking you'll probably need to have the excess skin removed even if you do have a procedure to remove any glandular/fat still in your chest.  Unfortunately, this results in a pretty noticeable scar on each side.  In my opinion, I'd rather have big scars but still be able to sport a shirt in public with confidence.  In time, the scars do become less and less noticeable.  The key though is to stay with your drive of getting healthy.  If getting rid of those remnants of your past unhealthy life will keep you on that path, then make it happen.  I gotta think it would feel good to tell anyone that asked about the scars that you set a goal to lose a bunch of weight, achieved that goal, and had a procedure done to bring out the results.               

And trust me, getting the surgery is by far the easiest part.  It's the patience and discipline with recovery that tests you and makes it all worth it in the long run.  But, you know all about discipline now having lost all that weight.  Go talk to a doc.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Congratulations on your weight loss -- it will provide you with a longer and healthier life!

What you have left on your chest is predictable -- some gland, some fat and lots of lax skin.  Unfortunately, if you have been very overweight only once in your life, you have stretched out your skin and therefore reduced its innate elasticity.  And it is the elasticity that enables surgeons to deal with gyne in most cases with minimal scars.

In your case, that is not possible.  You will need removal of the excess tissue, removal of the stretched skin and re-positioning of the nipples.  The result should be a smoother, trim and contoured chest -- but the trade-off will be some scars on your chest.  Those scars should fade to white lines in time.

Suggest you next visit several reputable gyne surgeons to gather various opinions on how to go about this.

Best of luck!

Dr Jacobs

Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline cocopops

• Posting Member
FreeinVegas: Thank you, i definitely feel a large mass under there. I don't mind having scars i just want to be able to wear a t shirt in summer without being paranoid.

Dr. Elliot Jacobs: Thank you for your advice, I feel more confident about going to see a surgeon now.

18 months ago I thought it would be as simple as exercise + diet. Hoping I can have surgery soon so i can get this period of my life over and done with and move on :D

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
Where are you located?  I'm sure through this site you can be provided with several recommendations of surgeons reasonably close to you.

Offline cocopops

• Posting Member
Where are you located?  I'm sure through this site you can be provided with several recommendations of surgeons reasonably close to you.

I am in Scotland, I have been trying to find information about the Spire Hospital in Edinburgh but I'm having trouble.

Offline Jguerrero222

• Posting Member
I wish you the best of luck, I was in the same situation you were in and have completely changed my life around after surgery.....I was able to wear t-shirts no problem.....and that gave me enough confidence to hit the gym....., and I was on the same boat you were on .but you must also dedicate many years to come to diet and body building.

Offline FreeinVegas

• Posting Member
Well I see nobody in the UK area has offered any recommendations. I guess I'd just recommend typing in nearby cities along with "gynecomastia" through google and seeing what happens. That's how I found my surgeon in Las Vegas.

DrBermant

Hey,

I have lost about 125 lb's over the last 18 months. I put it on as a teenager and i always thought my manboobs was just fat but since losing a lot of weight i still have them.

Obviously i still have 30 or so pounds to lose but i really don't see much changing in the chest area when nothing has really changed the last 125lb's.

This is really effecting my life in every way, lack of confidence, i'm constantly self-conscious in public and i haven't taken my top off in public in 10 years.

I am also finding it hard to find motivation to lose more weight when i still have these damn moobs.

What do you think? Is it gyne or fat?

Thanks for your time.

Congratulations on the weight loss!  Does it not feel much better at the lower weight?

Weight loss does not help with gland.  After major weight loss, remaining gland, fat, and skin can be issues.

The male chest can be distorted by both Gynecomastia Male Breast Enlargement. Drooping or Ptosis is a frequent problem after massive weight loss or deflation of massive muscles.   125 pounds is a great deal of weight.  Weight loss can leave a great deal of loose skin in many different parts of the body.  How much loose skin can vary from person to person.  It can take from 6 to 18 months for the skin to tighten after massive weight loss according to the literature on gastric bypass patients.

Posting Standard Pictures to Show Male Chest Drooping after weight loss can help others better understand if the loose skin component is a factor.

These are usually global factors affecting most regions of the body.  For men, the sagging chest is often the biggest concern.  However, there are often issues of the stomach, thighs, buttocks, arms, and more.  While a Tummy Tuck Abdominoplasty can help with the front, a Lower Body Lift helps deal with the stomach, thighs, and buttock sagging. 

Low areola / nipples do not look good on the male chest..  Surgery to deal with both the residual contours of gynecomastia and loose hanging chest tissues can be combined.  Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Drooping Chest or Ptosis can consist of many different Surgical Options for Excess Skin of the Male Chest.  A Short Scar Skin Reduction Chest Lift hides the scars under the pectoral muscles and around the areola.

My chest lift patients use their stomach and lower body to help get around.  My lower body lift patients use their upper body to help mobilize.  Performing both at the same time means much more discomfort and less mobility.  I prefer to perform my lower body contouring first permitting tissues to adjust, and then doing the chest lift.  Lifted chest tissues can be pulled down if the lower surgery is done second.   Having the chest done first, and then tightening the stomach can result in the nipples being pulled down again.

Being patient until you are finished losing weight is much better than gambling with early surgery.  Tighten loose skin and then lose more weight, what do you think will happen to the skin: magically tighten after surgery and further weight loss?  No, the odds are for new sagging and loose tissues. 

Weight Loss, Dealing With Excess Skin of the Chest and Body is also a major emotional issue.

Check out this resource on the emotion of body lift surgery for those after massive weight loss:

Personal experiences and emotions of dealing with weight, loose skin, and body lift surgery.

We have many patients, family members, and parents who have raved how a compression garment can really help while waiting for surgery or until stabilization of a problem.

Body shaping garments are a good temporary contouring solution.  They do not help remove or treat gynecomastia.  When the garment is removed, the gynecomastia is still there.  They can provide an emotional band-aid for the stress of contour issues and bouncing tissues.

There is a theoretical advantage for the person losing weight.  Scars that evolve under pressure do better than scars without pressure.  These garments are designed to help with pressure and scar evolution.  With weight loss, there is the issue of skin shrinkage.  Pressure may help.  However, there are no studies to evaluate such issues.  Trying to desing such a study is difficult if not impossible.

You can see actual examples of Compression Chest Contouring Without Surgery for different types of gynecomastia here:

Compression Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Body Shaping for Puffy Nipples

Body Shaping Compression Contouring for Overweight Male - This one shows the Black Vest in use.

Body Shaper Compression Garment for Severly Obese Male

Check out the multiple views for each patient. Clink on the links to see other views of the garment and features of this design I prefer.  We have tried many other brands and none seem to come close to what this one offers.

After surgery compression garments do not do well in pool water or sea water.  The salt or chlorine can damage the fabric.  There are Sun Protection Clothing Options designed for water use. 

A wet suit can also help.  Using a thin neoprene like Microprene can flatten the chest in water like a compression garment can help on land.  The after surgery garments do not work well in water, the wet suits do.  Both can be hot to wear, that is why I prefer a very thin garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues
[/quote]

Offline cocopops

• Posting Member
Thank you for your extensive and informative reply!!

The compression garments look extremely interesting. I think i may have to get one as a temporary fix.

DrBermant

I am in Scotland, I have been trying to find information about the Spire Hospital in Edinburgh but I'm having trouble.

I see many United Kingdom / UK gynecomastia patients who prefer my techniques.

Thank you for your extensive and informative reply!!

The compression garments look extremely interesting. I think i may have to get one as a temporary fix.

Being patient until weight and skin have stabilize can produce better results than having surgery and then more loose skin after further weight loss.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Male Mastopexy Chest Lift for Sagging Tissues

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024