Author Topic: Post-Op Compression Problem...  (Read 3192 times)

GynO_DuDe

I had an op 2 years ago (lipo/gland removal) and had a Stage 2 compression garment, so didn't bother buying another one for my 2nd op which was yesterday and lipo only.

I am getting very uncomfortable pains from this compression garment now, near the surgical stab wounds (under armpit crease and sides).

Can I take off this vest and just bandage myself up tightly for a few days and then try it again? Need advice because I cant ring my doctor at this time.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I would suggest you do ring your doctor or some other doctor who is covering for him.  It may be nothing but it may also indicate, perhaps, a collection of blood (hematoma) which should be attended to.  Doctors prescribe compression garments for a specific purpose -- and merely bandaging yourself will not provide the appropriate compression that a garment can provide.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

GynO_DuDe

Forgot to update this, but everything has improved today and its not that painful, thank God.

DrBermant

I had an op 2 years ago (lipo/gland removal) and had a Stage 2 compression garment, so didn't bother buying another one for my 2nd op which was yesterday and lipo only.

I am getting very uncomfortable pains from this compression garment now, near the surgical stab wounds (under armpit crease and sides).

Can I take off this vest and just bandage myself up tightly for a few days and then try it again? Need advice because I cant ring my doctor at this time.
As Dr. Jacobs mentioned, dressings can be a critical component of a doctor's technique and modification is always best checked with your own doctor.

A Stage 1 Compression Garment is much more comfortable right after surgery.  It has hooks and eyes for less traumatic access to the dressings, adjustable shoulder straps, and is much easier to get on and off without damaging tissues. 

A Stage 2 Gynecomastia Compression Garment can apply greater pressure and look better under clothing. However, the Stage II has no velcro straps nor hooks and can cause damage - discomfort right after surgery trying to put on or take off.  I prefer using the stage 2 for scar care after tissues have healed enough to tolerate the garment.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia Surgery

GynO_DuDe

Thats it, I didn't have a Stage 1 garment hence why the Stage 2 was causing me more pain than relief I suppose ... But its ok now.

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024