Author Topic: How long should I wait post surgery before I undergo Iontophoresis treatment?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Hi, i am now 2 weeks post op and on the healing process (ie scabbing etc) and plan to wear my compression garment untill week 6. However as well as gynecomastia there is another problem I was seeking to address in the coming weeks, hyperhidrosis (constant sweating), which I am due to get treated through Iontophoresis in the coming weeks. I think this is where a soaked pad is placed under the armpits and very mild electric currents pass through it for 20 mins.

My question, is would it be ok for me to undertake this process, by say week 4/5 post op, or would this disrupt my healing significantly, I realize in an ideal world I should not do this right now, but recently the arms have gone haywire and have messed up several dressings anyway.

I did not have any incisions in the armpits, I had both excersion and lypo done, but from the front of the chest. The treatment would only involve me lifting my arms up for 20 mins and having the compression vest off for that amount of time, and is pain free.

Any help would be very much appreciated.     

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I see no reason why you should not be able to undergo the iotophoresis assuming you are healing well from your gyne surgery.

It is interesting that you should bring up this problem.  I have been treating hyperhidrosis (excess armpit sweating) at the same time as the gyne surgery for about the past year or so in selected patients.  I use my same aggressive cannula that I use for gyne surgery.  It literally scrapes off the apocrine sweat glands directly under the armpit skin -- and the results do seem to be permanent.  It has no effect on  the eccrine sweat glands, so that "normal" sweating still remains -- but the excess sweating is gone.

If you want more info about this new technique, please send me a PM.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Many Thanks for the info Dr Jacobs, I guess I was really lucky to come across a gynecomastia/hyperhydrosis surgeon.

Have booked up the treatment, but obviously if that does not work or the other steps, then I would then look at surgery, and keep your name in mind.

But I am hoping iotophoresis might work.

Thanks again.

Offline Woodi

• Posting Member
Hi again, the iotophoresis treatment does not appear to be working for the underarm region, and i was recommended to try botox injections in the armpits, would having these done at 7 weeks +, be a very bad idea. i had no incisions near the prospective injections site and the area is above my pec area completely. i do appear to be getting closer and closer to surgery on this issue as well though.

again any help from anyone would be very much appreciated.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Botox, if administered properly and in the appropriate doses, can keep you dry for anywhere from 4-8 months or so.  However, as you can see, it is repetitive and can be expensive.  If you find that it not to your liking, then contact me and I can tell you about my procedure which can be done in less than one hour and seems to be permanent.

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024