Author Topic: compression garment  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Smiff2fs23

Just had the op for liposuction three days ago, doctor hasnt really told me much and the nurses werent that great with specific info so was just wondering a few things :

1. Ive been told to keep the compression vest on for minimum 6 weeks but does this mean 24/7 day and night??

2. Is it safe to shower, and replace plasters over stitches or is this not advisable and just have a scrub down wash avoiding the chest area??

3. Do you reckon I would be able to swim in 6 weeks time??

Kind Regards

James UK

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I usually recommend wearing the compression garment 24/7 for 3-4 weeks minimum -- and better for 6-8 weeks.  The only time one would remove it is to take a shower.

I would recommend you ask your surgeon about showering -- it all depends on how he sutured your wounds and his particular method for post op care.  For my patients, I allow showers at 48 hrs after surgery -- the wounds will have sealed by that time.

As for return to swimming, you have to differentiate between just a dunk in the pool or competitive style swimming.  A dunk in the pool is similar to a shower-- probably just fine.  Exceptional swimming might require a few more weeks before going all out.

Best to explore these questions directly with your own surgeon.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

DrBermant

Just had the op for liposuction three days ago, doctor hasnt really told me much and the nurses werent that great with specific info so was just wondering a few things :

Good patient education can make the difference in results. A well educated patient better understands limitations after surgery and can protect their healing tissues, result in much less bruising, swelling, and faster recovery. We take such education seriously in our office for our patients. Each doctor has his / her own routines to achieve their results.

1. Ive been told to keep the compression vest on for minimum 6 weeks but does this mean 24/7 day and night??

To understand this situation, you need to understand the function of Compression Vests and Gynecomastia Surgery. For my patients, I vary the timing for both First Stage Compression Vests and Second Stage Vests. Not wearing a vest during a time it is needed can result in too much swelling, bruising, discomfort, and slow recovery.  Not wearing a second stage vest removes the advantage of scar evolving under pressure. A scar that evolves under pressure does better than a scar without pressure.

2. Is it safe to shower, and replace plasters over stitches or is this not advisable and just have a scrub down wash avoiding the chest area??

Plasters or Gynecomastia Surgery Dressings vary from surgeon to surgeon. Each has its own ability to withstand showering. With mine, most patients can take brief showers 24 hours after surgery.

3. Do you reckon I would be able to swim in 6 weeks time??

Kind Regards

James UK

Any activity after surgery has its own limitations. For swimming there is the water exposure, time of water exposure, increased blood pressure from activity, and moving arms up over the head. Like with the above questions, I prefer to individualize answers for each of my specific patients' problems and surgical solutions. In general, pushing healing tissues too soon too far can ruin results. Like with a muscle sprain, specific number of days for return to activity is totally artificial and has little bearing on reality. Comfort is nature's way of helping the body understand its limitations.

Check with your surgeon, he or she is most knowledgeable about your original problem, what was done, and should take the time to explain such issues and specific limitations to help with your recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024