Author Topic: My pictures + Questions  (Read 2525 times)

Offline OdinsMonkey

This has been bothering me for years now and I'm going to try and bring it up with my parents this summer. Money is not the issue but its an awkward subject for me to bring up, not to mention the fact that my parents have a general fear of surgery.

Anyone aware of any really good places reasonably close to DC metropolitan area? Also, would it be more or less expensive the DC metro area as opposed to the NY Manhattan area? I'm hoping my case isn't really severe, any ideas on what the recovery time might look like? Finally, how long does the whole process usually take (prelim exam, surgery)? Couple weeks?

Here are my pictures:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks in advance for the help

Offline **Gynefor**

• 37 yo - 184 cm - 82 kg

Blurred pictures I must say... Don't you have clearer ones ?

Offline Jaxed23

• Posting Member
Please post clear pictures.

Offline 90293

• Posting Member
Your pictures are blurry, but it looks like you have a mild case similar to the one I had. I understand the fear of surgery and for me that was one of the biggest opstacles to overcome. You just have to pick a PS who is qualified and who are comfortable with.

As far as bringing it up to your parents you just need to make the decision and speak with them. I waited for a year and almost went through the surgery without my parents, but in the end I decided I needed some support and I was pleasently suprised how supportive my parents have been. This is a very emotional issue and having that support really helps. It is not a fun conversation, but in the end I was glad i did it.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree the photos are not optimal but you do appear slender and to have some chest enlargement and some puffy nipples.  If this has been present and stable for several years, then more than likely surgery would be your best option.

I would strongly recommend that you sit down with your folks and discuss the issue -- ask them to keep an open mind.  Then arrange to consult with an experienced gyne surgeon and make sure your parents come with you.  The surgeon will then be able to explain the operation and perhaps allay some of their fears. Once everything is explained to them, they may understand your physical and emotional distress and also understand more about the operation itself.  Knowledge is power!

Please be sure to consult with several surgeons who are experienced in gyne surgery -- then choose the one with whom you are most comfortable and confident.  The fee, while important, should be the least of your considerations. The results of your surgery will be there to be enjoyed for a long time -- and long after the original fee is forgotten.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline tenncast

• Silver Member
Dr bermant is in richmond.  he is a regular on this site and an expert on gyno surgery. you could be in perfect shape in a matter of a few hours.

He did my surgery, a revision, and after the fact it did not seem like a big deal. Instead of telling friends that i was having my breasts reduced, I  simply said that I wanted better looking pecs and that included some lypo under my arms. no one even gave it a second thougth.

Offline OdinsMonkey

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, I am still wondering on the time frame of the whole thing though. I realize that the surgery is finished very quickly but I'm wondering about the whole process. The steps of calling in, scheduling an appointment for a date, going in on that date, and recovery. How long do each of those take? Can I get the whole thing done within 2 weeks (not including the long term recovery)

Offline Gynosaur

• Bronze Member
If you decide you want to do it with Dr. Bermant, then setting up your initial consultation shouldn't take more than a day or two.  Just make sure you can take some clear photos from the angles requested on his site.  Like Tenncast, I had gyno surgery from Bermant (recently, in fact) and the setup process was very smooth.  While the initial consultation would ideally be in person, he does phone consultations or $200 if you don't feel like making the short trip from DC to Richmond.  If you call his office (804 748 7737) someone on his staff would be happy to answer your questions and help you schedule an appointment.

On an unrelated note, why are your parents against surgery?  Just curious.

Offline OdinsMonkey

If you decide you want to do it with Dr. Bermant, then setting up your initial consultation shouldn't take more than a day or two.  Just make sure you can take some clear photos from the angles requested on his site.  Like Tenncast, I had gyno surgery from Bermant (recently, in fact) and the setup process was very smooth.  While the initial consultation would ideally be in person, he does phone consultations or $200 if you don't feel like making the short trip from DC to Richmond.  If you call his office (804 748 7737) someone on his staff would be happy to answer your questions and help you schedule an appointment.

On an unrelated note, why are your parents against surgery?  Just curious.
Thanks for the reply. No particular reason my parents are against surgery, just a general fear. It isn't because of some botched surgery, family tragedy or anything like that.

I am going to talk to my parents about it this week and try and call Dr. Bermant as soon as possible since he seems to have the most people recommending him and he is the relatively close. Are there any other surgeons I should be looking into in the DC area as well?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024