Author Topic: is this gyne?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline NCCN

• Posting Member
Hello, im curious as to whether or not you professionals would consider this gynecomastia, how bad of a case it is, and any advice you might have...
I am 6feet tall, and weight about 195lbs-200lbs...I do smoke marijuana, im not sure if thats a contributing factor or not...and also ive had quite a problem with prescription pain medication :/  but im currently trying to wean myself off of that stuff....also ive had anxiety issues, and ive been under alot of stress for the last 5-6months....im really not sure if any of that stuff might have caused this.....ive had puffy nipple for a long time, but they have never protruded and looked so "pouty" as they do now, im very self-conscious about it, and would like to fix this asap

thank you for your time
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:56:05 PM by NCCN »

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Your photos do demonstrate gynecomastia. It's a moderate case...mostly puffy nipples with some fat, and perhaps you think it's worse if your weight is up due to the stress, if that's an issue for you.  If you've always had puffy nipples, it's been there for a while, presumably from puberty. And if they're "poutier," it could be due to increased body fat. 

If it bothers you, then surgical correction is likely your only option at this point.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline NCCN

• Posting Member
thank you for the reply, i appreciate it

the funny thing is, i went to my regular doctor, the other day, about it, and he said it would go away on its own, once i balance things out and get my hormones regulated or w/e....is that true? im pretty sure ive read a few times that whatever grows is permanent

also, when i brought up the surgery option, to see if he could refer me to a good surgeon or something, he pretty much just scoffed at me, made me feel dumb, and he walked out of the room...so i didnt get any useful info out of him, as to any local or nearby surgeons that do this kind of thing
he just said "pfffft...oh dont do THAT!!" and left....and left me sitting there like, what the hell!? :P

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
A couple of thoughts.  Although you are among "friends" on this site, who understand your concerns with gynecomastia, many physicians view this condition only as a cosmetic issue, which in most cases will resolve on it's own. Remember that the gynecomastia that develops during puberty (which is the most common type that pediatricians and internists encounter) resolves within a 3 year period in 95% of cases.  So for him to blow you off that way is not terribly surprising, though I would have hoped that he'd have done it in a more diplomatic way. From the description of some of your other issues, which may seem more pressing to your doctor, this may seem quite trivial, thus leading to his response. 

That said, you can explore treatment for your gynecomastia through this site, which will provide you with surgeons who are particularly interested in the management of gynecomastia.  If none are close enough to you to at least get an initial evaluation, you can find a board-certified plastic surgeon through the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgery at www.plasticsurgery.org.  Once you see some names, you can ask around for references, and you may find someone who can do a good job, even though he or she may not focus his or her practice in that area. Alternatively, many of us treat patients from outside of our local area on a regular basis, and if you wished to travel for your surgery, arrangements can be made fairly easily to minimize time away from home and work.

RS

Offline NCCN

• Posting Member
gotcha, thanks so much for the advice

i think my best bet is to just use compression shirts for now, while i get all this other stuff in order, lose a bit of weight, and then see how i feel about the issue, if its still making me uncomfortable and self-concious, then ill explore the surgery route

thanks again for the great replies, its a real comfort being able to talk to experts like you, who have dealt with this stuff countless times im sure

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Silverman. Get your house (and your body) in order.  And then look carefully for a plastic surgeon who is experienced in gyne surgery.  This is elective surgery -- there is no rush.  Would recommend you consult with several possible surgeons and choose the one with whom you feel most comfortable and confident.  Do not allow the fee, while important, to be the final decider. What counts is the quality of the surgery.  And the results of your surgery will be yours to enjoy for a lifetime -- and long after the fee is forgotten.

Best of luck to you!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline NCCN

• Posting Member
thank you!
i agree, surgery isnt something where you want to look for the cheapest deal, im 100% interested in the skill of the surgeon over the price

but yeah, im going to get myself in better shape before i make that kind of decision, and while i do, i can save the money ill need

thanks again for your time guys, this site is such a huge help

Offline Dr. Cruise

• Supporting Doctors
  • Gold Member
  • Dr. Cruise
    • http://lagynecomastia.org/
Agree with Dr. Jacobs.  It appears as if you have personal issues you should address prior to considering elective surgery.  When your ready, choose a surgeon who has considerable experience in gynecomastia correction as it is subspecialty in of itself within plastic surgery. 
Dr. Cruise
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
2081 San Joaquin Hills Road
Newport Beach, CA 92660
949-644-4808
Before and After Pictures
Types of Gynecomastia

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024