Author Topic: Post surgery...to massage or not to massage??  (Read 3274 times)

Offline anglesey

Hi, I have just had both glands removed and lippo. My ps has said I need to start massaging vigourously from day one. Having read articles on here there seems to be confusion as to what is best? Some say it can cause damage too early on? My ps has done a great job and I want to go with my ps advice but should I tweak the nipples and massage hard every day for half an hour on each side? My glands were soft so my nipples are intact.

Thanks

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
It's best to follow your surgeon's instructions, and it's important to ask him or her to clarify if you don't understand the specifics of the instructions.  I doubt he or she would recommend that you should "massage hard every day for half an hour".  That would be traumatic to your tissue.  I have my patients wear a compression vest for the first two weeks.  I instruct them to purchase an electric massager, preferably with a flat head.  I have them start the massage one week after surgery, and they usually massage with the vest on during the first week of massage (less painful that way).  The electric massage is gentle, simply vibrates the tissue and thereby helps the swelling to resolve evenly.

Dr. Pope, MD

George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline anglesey

Thank you for your quick response Dr. I see my ps today so will discuss but I can assure you that my ps has said they have done their job and my job is to massage for half an hour on each side every day for a minimum of 21 days to ensure the scar tissue is soft. Yesterday was quite tough as I had to massage in the shower and the area was very sore especially having to tweak and pull on the nipples as instructed.

I have also been told to wear the binder for 24 hours for the first 3 weeks and then at night for a further 3 weeks.

I have also noticed my nipples seem to be permanently erect? Is this normal 3 days after surgery?

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024