Author Topic: I new here and I am 59 with Gyne question  (Read 1718 times)

Offline estate1

• Posting Member
I have been reading alot on this excellent site but I haven't seen much written by "older gentlemen"...50/60+'ers. I will be 60 soon and would like to hear from anyone older who has had the surgery and if there are any different challenges for the older guys.i.e skin tightness etc. I am 6'3" 250lbs (about 25-30 overweight mostly belly fat/love handles and moobs) and I am in good health otherwise. (non-smoker-non-drinker).I am somewhat muscular and have a big frame. I am considering Dr. Lista and my concern is dealing with particularly puffy nips. if I do the surgery I don't want to EVER SEE THEM again poking through light t-shirt/jersey shirts! or am I expecting too much? There seems to a couple of different surgery types, which Doctor... which is best for my condition? Thanks for any comments whatsoever...

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
I have successfully operated on men in their 50's and 60's.  Your story, having been overweight and also your age, indicates that there will probably be some skin laxity after surgery.  The puffy nipple issue should probably be able to be solved by an experienced gyne surgeon.  My guess is that after surgery you will probably have a flat chest but with some residual skin laxity -- usually manifested by a retained crease fold under the chest.

You should discuss this at length with your surgeon of choice.

Good luck!

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline rustynail

I've always been self-conscious of my 'moobs' but didn't know there was something that could be done until I came across this site. I studied the option and then, last year, took the plunge and had surgery to correct my gynecomastia. I was 52 and had no problems whatsoever. 

Six months after the gyno surgery, I had lipo to remove my 'love handles,' which was much more painful.

Now, one year later, I have some asymmetry--the left side side looks great but the right side looks (and feels) like there is some fat underneath. I'm planning to see my plastic surgeon (Dr. Reath) to discuss a possible revision.

Overall, I'm very glad I had the surgeries, if for no other reason than the fact that my clothes fit so much better now. I also work out regularly (running and weight lifting) and try to watch my weight. I'll keep you posted as to how things go but, overall, I would recommend having the surgery. If I had it to do all over again, I certainly would!!!

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
This may sound a bit odd, but a slight lack of symetry is actually more normal than being perfectly symetrical.

Take a close look at the faces of several celebrities and you'll see what I mean.

Grandpa Dan

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
RE question of symmetry.

I run into this all the time.  Many people don't realize that humans are not perfectly symmetric, mirror image creatures.  If you were to carefully scrutinize your face, you might notice that one eyebrow is slightly different from the other.  The same goes for ears, eyes, cheekbones, etc, etc.  And the same is true for breasts -- both male and female.

I often have patients come for consultation with very large gyne -- and after a major operation in which I have made them 98% better, they only concentrate on the 2% which is not absolutely perfect or symmetric with the other side.  I try to make them see the "larger" picture of where they are now and where they have come from -- but they tend to go back and only focus on that minor imperfection. 

What are possible causes?  One has to look at the entire physical structure of the chest -- from the rib cage which may be asymmetric, to the development of the chest muscles, which may also be asymmetric.  And also, if the patient was asymmetric to begin with, there are differences in the skin envelope and nipple diameters and locations that may not totally equalize after surgery.

Welcome to my world!

Dr Jacobs

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024