Author Topic: Seroma? Something else? How can you tell?  (Read 3646 times)

Offline waves

• Silver Member
First off, let me say the ability to ask a doctor for advice on this forum is invaluable!  I'm starting to better understand why it's important to support the 'Supporting Doctors'.  Thanks in advance to any or all of the doctors that respond to my question below!

I am 12 days post op from a bilateral excession / lipo procedure to correct my gynecomastia problem.  I had a moderate degree of gyne and pre/post pictures can be viewed here (https://www.gynecomastia.org/smf/index.php?topic=22468.msg150476;topicseen#new).  So far, I am really pleased with the results.  Perfect shape and if the end result is anything like the current, I'll be thrilled.  I have 100% feeling in both breasts with no loss of sensitivity that I can tell.  Shape of the breast looks good both relaxed and flexing.

So my question....I have 4 large masses (2 on each side) that have developed in areas other than the nipple.  They're about the size of a nickel or quarter each and relatively firm.  They don't cause me too much problem and you can't tell otherwise by just looking, however, they do begin to hurt if I go on long walks (hour or two).  Are these seroma's?  Something else?  Should I be concerned or just ignore them and let them resolve on their own?  I'm pretty certain they weren't there pre-op.

I travelled from one side of the country to the other for the surgery so I'm unable to visit the surgeon in person to ask for advice.

Thanks again in advance.

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Some additional details:

- the lumps are say a nickel or quarter in diameter, but not overly thick (say 5mm or less), with definitive edges to them
- I continue to wear my compression vest 24/7 and did not remove it at all for the first 7 days.  Now shower daily and vest is off for perhaps 30 minutes at the most.  Advised to keep this vest on for 3 weeks and have a stage 2 vest I can wear after that (although wasn't advised by the surgeon of that).

Thanks.

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
There are a number of causes for what you are describing at less than two weeks. The important factor however is that they resolve with time in the majority of instances.
Jay Pensler,MD
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

Offline waves

• Silver Member
Thank-you for the reply Dr. Pensler.  I really appreciate it.

I'm now 18 days post op and have noticed quite a bit of change in the lumps.  Over the last 6 days they have reduced in size and hardness with the right side lumps almost gone completely.  Still quite noticeable on the left side, but they seem to be reducing in size and are softer.  Both sides are relatively pain free now as well.  Thus, your comment that the condition usually resolves appears to be true for my case as well!

I did a fair amount of research about my condition and the surgery itself, however, I neglected to really look into what to expect post op.  Lesson learned. 

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!   

Offline waves

• Silver Member
I'm now 18 days post op and have noticed quite a bit of change in the lumps.  Over the last 6 days they have reduced in size and hardness with the right side lumps almost gone completely.  Still quite noticeable on the left side, but they seem to be reducing in size and are softer.  Both sides are relatively pain free now as well.  Thus, your comment that the condition usually resolves appears to be true for my case as well!  

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon.  I had to jog for a block today to get to a meeting and the pain associated with where the lumps are came shooting back on the left side. 

Previously I had been trying to feel the lumps while lying down in bed, reaching down through the top of the compression vest.  But standing up things are a lot different.  On the right side it seems the lumps are "deeper" towards the back of the chest muscle and less noticeable.  On the left side however, they're still closer to the top and perhaps larger.  I played with them quite a bit and of course now they hurt.  No bruising at all and in fact the chest looks pretty good.  The left side is larger right where the lumps are located (to the left and right of the nipple).

Is this something I should be massaging?  Or just leave alone and let the healing continue?  I'm now 19 days post op and couldn't imagine in 2 days I can return to sport.  Thanks and sorry for the confusing previous response...I was not assessing it properly.

Offline waves

• Silver Member

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024