Author Topic: Does melatonin cause gynecomastia?  (Read 9059 times)

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Dear Doctors,

Does melatonin cause gynecomastia. I had pubertal gynecomastia until I had a successful surgery done last year to remove the tissue. 5 days ago, I started taking melatonin as I have difficulty sleeping sometimes. Should I continue with the melatonin or ditch it? I really don't want to get gynecomastia again.

Thank you

I just swallowed a tablet of melatonin and I'm feeling guilty /:

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Melatonin has been associated with gynecomastia as a side effect, though it is uncommon.  If your hormonal levels are otherwise normal, and if you're just using melatonin in an irregular basis to help with sleep, you may not have any problem with it.  If you're concerned, you might try some alternative mild sleep aid instead.  Additionally, reports that describe the association suggest that it resolves after discontinuing the melatonin, but I'm suspect you'd probably not want to take chances. 

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Sorry for my late reply but thanks for your advice Dr. Silverman. Assuming you were in my shoes and your hormone tests indicated that you didn't have problems, would you take melatonin?

Thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
If you're using it as a sleep aid, you might give it a try for a short period to see if anything changes, and if not, use it judiciously as you need it.  If you'd prefer not using it, there are plenty of other sleep aids out there that are without significant side effects and still work pretty well. 

RS

Offline chipmunkgore

• Posting Member
Thanks for your prompt reply Dr. Silverman. Can you recommend me any good sleeping aid?

Thank you

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024