Author Topic: My Gyno - Does my case warrant surgery ?  (Read 2317 times)

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
I developed my Gyno 11 months ago. After a few months of waiting for it to go away I decided to get in contact with a plastic surgeon in my area; he told me to wait another few months to see if the size reduced at all. It did not. Yesterday I had my first, in person, consultation with him. He looked me up and down, felt my nipple, agreed that there was some glandular material in there and then told me that he wouldn't preform the corrective surgery on me. He said that the possible risks involved in the surgery (scaring, nipple indentation, loss of nipple sensation... etc) out weighed the potential gains, in my case. He told me that my Gyno is mild enough that under most circumstances a person wouldn't even be able to tell I had anything. Also, he told me that because this particular type of surgery is considered a "gross surgery" (as opposed to a "fine surgery") he cannot guarantee any kind of result. He then advised me to avoid certain loose fitting, or tight, t-shirts....

I have spent the last couple months familiarizing myself with the risks involved in this surgery; I have watched several Gyno excision videos online; I have looked at hundreds of "before & after" photos. I feel as though I have a good understanding of what is realistically achievable, in my circumstances. I

I am self conscious about the asymmetry that this Gyno creates. Do you guys think I have a case here: is my Gyno apparent enough to risk surgery or is the surgeon correct in his evaluation ?

Offline Raider Fan

• Gold Member
I think what you should be doing is counting your lucky stars that THIS surgeon told you the things he did and did not operate on you.  He does not sound confident in his own ability to operate on your mild gynecomastia competently, therefore, you are very fortunate that you didn't put yourself in his hands.  

Yes, it does appear that you have mild gyne, and if you've been reading these boards, you know that there are numerous plastic surgeons who would gladly (and competently) operate on you and help you.  We know from our own doctors on this board that the situation CAN be improved and I believe you need to keep looking for a surgeon who competently and confidently deals with gynecomastia on a regular/frequent basis.  

Offline Paa_Paw

• Senior Moderator
Waiting is a very good idea. You will not know what your true condition is until it has been unchanged for about 2 years. Meanwhile, give the various compression garments a try if you feel the need to conceal the breasts.

While it may initially seem odd, the fact is that some degree of asymmetry is probably more normal than for both sides to be perfectly equal. If you find that difficult to believe, study the face of someone you think is very good looking. The straight line down the middle of the face through the browline, between the eyes, down the bridge of the nose, through the lips and chin is almost never a straight line. One eye is larger or higher, ditto the ears etc.

Does your case warrant surgery? Only you can answer that.
Grandpa Dan

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
I think what you should be doing is counting your lucky stars that THIS surgeon told you the things he did and did not operate on you.  He does not sound confident in his own ability to operate on your mild gynecomastia competently, therefore, you are very fortunate that you didn't put yourself in his hands.  

Yes, it does appear that you have mild gyne, and if you've been reading these boards, you know that there are numerous plastic surgeons who would gladly (and competently) operate on you and help you.  We know from our own doctors on this board that the situation CAN be improved and I believe you need to keep looking for a surgeon who competently and confidently deals with gynecomastia on a regular/frequent basis.  

I really appreciated your perspective on this matter, thank you. You have effectively restored my hope.

Offline nutella

• Bronze Member
Waiting is a very good idea. You will not know what your true condition is until it has been unchanged for about 2 years. Meanwhile, give the various compression garments a try if you feel the need to conceal the breasts.

While it may initially seem odd, the fact is that some degree of asymmetry is probably more normal than for both sides to be perfectly equal. If you find that difficult to believe, study the face of someone you think is very good looking. The straight line down the middle of the face through the browline, between the eyes, down the bridge of the nose, through the lips and chin is almost never a straight line. One eye is larger or higher, ditto the ears etc.

Does your case warrant surgery? Only you can answer that.

To me, normality isn't exactly the same thing as symmetry. In this case I am only interested in removing something which was not there before: the gland.

Offline looseSHIRT

• Silver Member
Nutella, If you think, surgery will make you feel better about your body.. have it.. There are a lot of Doctors in this forum, I myself found my plastic surgeon here in the forum. Check his/her reputation, and have a consultation, if you think he/she is capable and you trust him/her.. Go for it..

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024