Author Topic: Showering after surgery  (Read 4390 times)

Offline vishman14

• Posting Member
Hi Drs! I just had my surgery yesterday, and im feeling good and can feel the results. Im not in too much pain, and am looking forward to getting these bandages off tomorrow. But when on earth can i take a shower again? My surgeon says i cant do it until the bandages come off tomorrow, and even then i may have to wait. When is the best time to shower? I feel so grimy!!! ughhhhhhh

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I let my patients shower two days after surgery, but you need to speak to your surgeon to get his recommendations.  He may have a reason that he wants you to wait.  The only time I restrict patients is when I leave drains, but I almost never use drains for this surgery.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

DrBermant

Hi Drs! I just had my surgery yesterday, and im feeling good and can feel the results. Im not in too much pain, and am looking forward to getting these bandages off tomorrow. But when on earth can i take a shower again? My surgeon says i cant do it until the bandages come off tomorrow, and even then i may have to wait. When is the best time to shower? I feel so grimy!!! ughhhhhhh

This is technique dependent. I see patients from around the world. They are usually able to fly back the day after surgery. Flying without showing can be offensive so one goal long ago was to evolve a sealed dressing system that could take showing. My patients are usually able to shower 24 hours after surgery. That time permits a bond between the bandage and skin that tolerates a gentle shower. That also permits me to see the patient, check the chest, help the patient learn about getting the garment off and back on, the additional gauze we use to go after the negligible swelling under the contour valleys that the garment does not compress, and other such details of the education process that contributes to our successful sculpture. I cannot achieve that sealed dressing for a skin reduction chest lift and those patients are normally asked to stay locally longer. Sealing that extensive a wound can constrict breathing.

So this is a question best directed to your operating surgeon and, in my opinion, should have been part of the educational process each patient is exposed to before surgery instead of having to ask in a forum. Knowledge is power and the enabled patient better able to contribute to a more comfortable recovery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Agree with Dr. Silverman.  It is best to follow the instructions of your surgeon.  Perhaps you can sit in a tub with a few inches of water so that you don't get the dressings wet.

I generally allow my patients to shower at 48 hours after surgery -- except in the very rare circumstance when I have used a drain.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
I typically allow patients to shower after 48 hours ,but this is a question best answered by your surgeon based on the technique used and their experience.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024