Author Topic: Help deciding on a surgeon  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Quasi

• Posting Member
What is a good thing to look at when comparing surgeons? There a couple surgeons that practice near me. One has a multiple before/after pictures and a video on youtube of him performing the surgery. Am I able to post the video for one of the surgeons on the board to watch and give their opinion? Or is that against the board rules. I want to look into these surgeons first before looking at the more well known ones around the country because I probably have just enough money to get the surgery not including traveling to a surgeon out of Texas.

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
In choosing a surgeon, you want to assess his or her experience and results, and if possible, ask around and see what others have to say about him or her. Certainly, a website with a lot of photos is helpful, but remember, we only post our good results.  Of course, the more patients represented, the more likely it is that the surgeon has a lot of experience, allowing him or her to post a lot of good results.  A You-tube video demonstrating technique may be useful (especially if you know what you're looking at)--and one of these days, I intend to put one up, since it's a great marketing tool--but that's the primary thing to remember: it's a great marketing tool!  Videos are edited, and they also need to be brief. And rest assured, we will never post a video that shows us struggling to stop bleeding or to extract a large mass through a tiny peri-areolar incision.  Once you've established the credentials of the surgeon, it's nice to see if you have some rapport, which you should be able to determine at the time of your consultation.  If everything seems good with the surgeons in your neighborhood, you don't need to travel a distance to get a good operation.  If, on the other hand, you're not satisfied with what's available locally, it would probably save you some grief in the future (and possibly money!) if you traveled to a surgeon who focused on the treatment of gynecomastia. 

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com