Author Topic: Excision vs liposuction  (Read 5819 times)

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Hi, I was just wondering under what circumstances would lipo only be required when dealing with gynecomastia?...For example, I have chest fat or pseudo gynecomastia, no hard lumps under the nipples or under the armpits what so ever. Yet, I recently saw a doctor, whose name gets mentioned a lot on these forums, and he suggested doing excision on my chest? At the time, I failed to ask why excision would be necessary, considering i don't exhibit the above listed traits. Do surgeons have to cut you open under the nipple, just to have a look to determine whether you even need removal of the gland? Thanks

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
In some cases, even though the tissue feels soft like fat, you can't get out everything behind the nipple areola without direct excision of tissue.  Some of the fat in that area can be more fibrous and difficult to extract with a standard cannula.

Dr. Pope, MD
George H Pope, MD, FACS
Certified - American Board of Plastic Surgery
Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
www.georgepopemd.com
Phone: 407-857-6261

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Thank you for the response. Just to be clear though, are you suggesting that even though I may or may not have fibrous fat behind the nipple, I would have to have the surgeon make an incision below the nipple anyway, just to verify what kind of fat is there?...I guess my concern is, if I don't need to have a scar along my nipple, then I would prefer not to. Is there any way to determine what kind of fat is present without getting cut open?

Offline George Pope, M.D.

• Supporting Doctors
    • Orlando Plastic Surgery Center
If you get a good result with liposuction alone, no incision around the nipple areola for direct excision of tissue is necessary. 

Dr. Pope, MD

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
I tell all of my patients that they may require excision, since I can't really tell from just palpating the tissue in the office what the character will be when I do the procedure.  As soon as I start, when injecting the solution for tumescent anesthesia, I can often tell if there's more fibrous tissue under the nipple, since the blunt injection cannula won't go through it easily.  I do the liposuction first, and in doing that, if there is a mass remaining under the nipple, then an incision is required.  I would guess that this occurs in excess of 95% of my cases.  Even in those patients in whom the tissue is mostly fat, there is still usually tissue under the nipple that doesn't come out with suction.  The scar that results is usually nearly undetectable, compelling me to make the incision, rather than leave unwanted tissue behind.

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com

Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Offline DS

• Posting Member
Thank you for the replies, gentlemen

One final question...is this a standard process when performing surgery, to use liposuction first, then determine whether excision is necessary? Which sounds like it is, in more cases than not

Thanks again

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
My approach to gyne surgery is much the same as Dr. Silverman -- lipo as much as possible at first.  Then, and only if necessary, excise any remaining solid tissue directly under the areola.  It works.

There is only one surgeon that I know of who does excision first -- and then lipo.  It too can work.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

Offline DrPensler

• Supporting Doctors
    • gynecomastiachicago
Fat (adipose ) tissue is removed via liposuction ,glandular tissue requires resection. Most cases are a combination of glandular and adipose tissue.If a majority of your tissue is fat a majority will be corrected with liposuction,to remove the residual  glandular component will require a resection.
Jay M. Pensler,M.D.
680 North Lake Shore Drive
suite 1125
Chicago,Illinois 60611
(312) 642-7777
http://www.gynecomastiachicago.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024