Author Topic: Would surgery be possible?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Stargate005

Hi all,

I'm a 22 year old male, I've been over weight all my life and have been suffering from my enlarged breasts just as long. They are a large stressor in my life, a leading cause of my previous depression and they all around make my life harder than it needs to be from a psychological perpective. Although I am very overweight besides my breasts I feel comfortable with my stomach area, I'm not perfect but I'll eventually get it down. I'm currently 300 lbs and 6'1. I've attached a few pictures I took to give you an idea. I've read that it is suggested quite often that you be at a certain weight to have the surgery however the reality is it would take years to get to that point for me, as gynecomastia is caused by increases in estrogen and increased fat tissue leads to an increased estrogen so why not attempt to not only get rid of a decent (I don't expect to have a nice flat chest and a larger body just more of a balance) amount of fat tissues and look and feel better at the same time? I plan on booking an appt with a plastic surgeon in my area tomorrow to see what he thinks but the wait for the consult is 2 months and I don't want to be waisting my time. Any idea you could give me on the likelyhood of myself being able to purchase the surgery would be greatly appreciated I realize it will vary from person to person but I'd appreciate any input non the less. Thanks very much!

Offline Dr. Elliot Jacobs

• Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
  • Senior Moderator
    • Gynecomastia Surgery
Yes, you are considered morbidly obese, with a BMI of 39.6.

It would be ideal if you could lose weight -- probably best to go to 200 - 220.  However, you note that it may not be possible but would like some improvement in your chest.

There is something called "compromise" surgery.  It can be done with minimal scars and it will only shrink, but not eliminate your breasts.  There will still be a fold under the breasts but the entire chest will be smaller.  This may be of help to you -- you should discuss this possibility with your local plastic surgeron.

Dr Jacobs
Dr. Jacobs 
Certified: American Board of Plastic Surgery
Fellow: American College of Surgeons
Practice sub-specialty in Gynecomastia Surgery
4800 North Federal Highway
Boca Raton, Florida 33431
561  367 9101
Email:  dr.j@elliotjacobsmd.com

SMFPacks CMS 1.0.3 © 2024