Author Topic: dizziness, post-op complication ?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline max_badger

• Posting Member
The day after surgery I became very dizzy moments after getting up which lasted several hours.  The dizziness comes back every time when I get up after sleeping which mostly clears up within a few moments but mild dizziness lingers, just enough to be annoying.  I was also given morphine based Statex pills which I read could also cause dizziness, but I only it used the 1st night post op even though the discomfort was quite manageable without. I had the 1st follow up visit with the P.S.  9 days after surgery, he quickly dismissed the dizziness problem when I said I had this occasionally all my life but it never lasts more than 2 or 3 days. But now it has been every day for 6 weeks, so the question is, what should I do? Try to see the P.S., see a G.P. or wait and hope....
My guess is a inner ear infection, there is a sort of mild achy feeling from the left ear and jaw, not always noticeable, could this be a post-op complication or mere coincidence? I never had a diagnosed ear infection.
According to my file there was negligible bleeding during surgery, nothing unusual.

Background info: age mid-fifties, BP always around 115/70 (I check often since surgery)
Surgery was done November 21 under general anaesthesia; lypo and excision was done through the arm pits, but the P.S. had to 'adjust the procedure' by also doing lypo from 2 other incisions near center of chest lower than the areolas. The results are excellent, could not ask for better; had very little swelling, did not need drains, sutures or staples, looked like the incisions were glued shut.
I'm healing nicely, the 2 main incisions still have a long way to go but I see gradual improvement, color and raised skin are slowly returning to normal; the 2 extra incisions now look more like skin imperfections.  When I don't wear the vest, there is a mild burning numbness to the entire lypoed area which increases gradually to uncomfortable levels after several hours, tylenol helps, wearing the vest works better, this too is gradually improving. So overall the entire healing is going well.
Any thoughts?  thanks

Offline Litlriki

• Supporting Doctors
    • Dr. Silverman's Website
Sorry to hear about your issues since your surgery, though it sounds like the procedure went well.  Based on your description, you should see your primary care doctor to be evaluated.  It may be an inner ear issue, and if you've had such problems in the past, that is a likely culprit.  At this point, however, you're fully recovered from the surgery and from the anesthetic, and this ongoing problem has little to do with the original surgery.

Good luck,

Rick Silverman
Dr. Silverman, M.D.
Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
29 Crafts Street
Suite 370
Newton, MA 02458
617-965-9500
800-785-7860
www.ricksilverman.com
www.gynecomastia-boston.com
rick@ricksilverman.com